CAPS LOCK key... does it need to be there?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by agkm800, Jul 12, 2010.

1. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

I rarely use the CAPS LOCK key when I type. I assume only a small minority uses it often--those who type for living.

The CAPS LOCK key is relatively big compared to other keys. So, I was wondering if the space can be used for another more important or more frequently used key and take the CAPS LOCK key out of the keyboard and give it a button or something. (on notebooks anyway)

Or, at lease switch it with the Tab key which is usually used more.

Your thoughts?

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

I'm sure it can be done somehow. OSX at least lets you turn off its functionality so you don't accidentally turn it on :) You can also change it to CMD, CTRL or option. (System Preferences > Keyboard > Modifier Keys)

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I hardly ever use it, but it doesn't bother me.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

You haven't worked as a programmer for a company where it's standard practice to type out names of constants with capital letters, have you? ;)

5. applefan1997 macrumors 6502

Actually, I don't type the 'proper way,' and I actually use the caps lock key in place of the shift key for uppercase letters. Like when I just typed this post.

6. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

The forum's automatic disemboweling of caps lock is a real bummer for this thread.

7. Frisco macrumors 68020

My Commodore and Amiga had this button so I would say yes.

Computing was way better back then. IMO Microsoft has been a huge hindrance on computer technology.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

:eek:

Interesting theory... but I've not seen too many Windows computers that don't have a caps lock key. :p

I think it's a 99% useless key in the modern world... I'd think the few people who use it could just get some utility that mimicked the behavior by double tapping the shift key or something like that. But it's part of the keyboard layout and probably not going anywhere until keyboards get replaced by touchscreens, if that ever happens (case in point would be the iDevices, which don't have dedicated caps lock keys onscreen).

9. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I have family members who'd be lost without the caps key. HOW ELSE CAN THEY WRITE YOU UNLESS IT'S ALL IN CAPS
    WITH WEIRD
    LINE BREAKS ?

10. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

Only thing I hate about the key is its proximity to the A key half the time I type and hit a word with that letter it winds up putting at least 5 words all in caps before I notice the error. ****! delete delete detete.....does anyone know if they make a keyboard with the caps key maybe an extra half an inch more to the left of A?--cant help it if I got sausage fingers LOL

11. stahl7639 macrumors member

The caps lock key is useless, IMO. I don't think I have used it in years. The shift key is the way to go.

12. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I still use it from time to time and at the same time if I had another way to turn it on and off I would be ok with that but double tapping the shift key is not one of them because i would turn it on to often.

as for uses I have had to make layout or labels that needed to be all caps. Another common time I will use it when I am making titles on power points.
    It just makes it easier to turn it when I need to stay in caps.
    Even way back when it was on type writers caps lock was a very limited use key.

13. Sc24evr macrumors member

how do you reply to posts without using caps lock? lol have to yell at noobs somehow

14. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

15. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

16. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

o.m.g!!!! in little letters. thanks forum software!

we must be related, or at least have some family in common... :eek:

EDIT: and can't forget the t-shirt "caps lock is cruise control for AWESOME!"

17. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I did not know this. Thanks. I've turned mine off.. I hate bumping it by accident and never use it anyway, so, Bingo. :)

18. Reventon macrumors 6502

I don't think it has to be there either. I haven't used my Caps Lock key in years. Like the hammer, the Caps Lock key is a tool of a pickey.

19. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

If Caps Lock Is Good Enough For Billie Mays Its Good Enough For Me!

^^ supposed to be in all caps :confused:

20. cciliberto33 macrumors regular

It's funny because my mom and dad who are technology impaired do this all the time.

21. bamaworks macrumors 6502

When entering data into our Laboratory Information System, all of our computers have caps lock turned on because the system only accepts capital letters when designating samples and medical record numbers. It is useful for some, not for others.