Caps lock key issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by bp1000, Aug 2, 2011.

1. bp1000 macrumors 65816

Do you find your caps lock key slow to respond sometimes?

I press it and it doesn't engage.

I'm trying to work out whether i'm pressing it too fast (apple has a small delay to prevent accidental presses) or whether my key has issues and isn't sensitive enough.

Probably more noticeable if you are a fast typer.

2. harpyeagle macrumors regular

I noticed that you need to press on the left side of the caps lock key(around where the CAPS indicator light is located) to consistently ON/OFF CAPS. Pressing anywhere else on the key misses to register sometimes.

3. Kavrocks macrumors newbie

If I press in the middle it doesn't engage but if I press either of the 2 sides it does engage. I wondered was this just a problem with my Mac.

4. pollaxe macrumors 6502

pollaxe

I noticed it too but then I discovered it's also the same (or at least very similar) on the Apple Bluetooth keyboard I got for my iPad..

5. stevenpa macrumors 6502

Now that you mention it, I'm having the "problem" as well.

6. rds macrumors regular

It's intentional so that you don't unintentionally press it. The Power key is the same.

7. jackyyeow macrumors 6502

Lol this topic will pop up every now and then, especially when there's new refreshes and welcomed many first time Mac users.

I don't want my caps lock key to be sensitive, although I never really hit it wrong most of the time and I'm a touch typist.

8. harpyeagle macrumors regular

good find on the apple support link mentioning this. I see that the link only includes 2009 Apple keyboards, but assuming this was propagated down to keyboards in all forms from apple later on.

Also, in some ways, I am not sure if this makes sense as an unintentional hit can happen on any other key, not just the caps lock(with the exception being the power key for obvious reasons) - more so on the commonly used ones.

9. jackyyeow macrumors 6502

I think it's related to password entering. Many sites only allowed 3 times before the account is temporary locked up, so if unintentional caps locked and the user is unaware it can be a problem sometimes.

10. Zedcars macrumors 6502

Zedcars

I must say I thought this was a fault with my MBA and I was about to call in to an Apple store to check it out.

I'm finding it's causing me to type a lot of capitals when lower case was intended and vica versa and I only notice about midway through a sentence. It's extremely frustrating.

When I actually look at the caps lock key light when I'm hitting it [<it did it again right there!] I sometimes have to press it 3 times before it obeys me and lights green! So irritating. :(

11. Nioxic macrumors regular

mine works flawlessly.

the fact that i never ever ever ever ever would use it, is something else.

:<
    i wish they'd add it as an option.. :p (or the ability to remove its current use, and then giving me an additional button to click when playing games, without yelling at people in the chat)

12. bizzle macrumors 6502a

There is a slight delay. This is with ALL Intel Macs with built in keyboards. You have to hold it for longer than just a tap. There is nothing to see here, folks.

13. iphonsteve4ajob macrumors regular

I was just going to say that this cannot be a real issue...and then I saw your link.

Very interesting...though I have to say mine works pretty normally wherever you press the key.

14. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I never use caps lock (and I've used computers for over 40 years). I reassign it to be another Command key in System Preferences. More useful and less apt to cause trouble.