Caps Lock key not 100% responsive

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by xvrockerlouvx, Apr 12, 2008.

1. xvrockerlouvx macrumors newbie

Sometimes after not typing for a few minutes and not using the keyboard at all, if i go to push the caps lock button, it takes 2 presses for it to turn on. Is there something wrong or is it a glitch or something? Thanks.

2. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

Maybe you're not pressing hard enough? I know that mine is a little delayed when I press it; not really a big deal to me though.

I don't think it's anything to worry about but if it does become a hassel, take it to the Apple store and the Genius' will probably fix it real quick. It doesn't seem like a big problem, maybe just the key was installed wrong...

3. xvrockerlouvx thread starter macrumors newbie

well i'm not pressing it softer or harder than i press the other keys. It's not a big problem, i'm just very paranoid about stuff and want to know if it's normal or something.

4. xvrockerlouvx thread starter macrumors newbie

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

On new MacBooks and new aluminum keyboards, the Caps Lock key has a built-in delay when pressed to turn on (but no delay when turning off). This is to help prevent accidental key presses. Unfortunately, it seems to cause more issues in NOT activating when people want it to, than it solves by not activating by accident.

Accidental Keypress prevention is undocumented, but is mentioned here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Wireless_Keyboard

The solution is to press and hold the caps lock key for just a little longer than you would normally hit other keys, until the green light comes on. Pushing harder or softer doesn't really affect it; it's the length of the keypress that's the issue.

6. myuserid08 macrumors 6502

I've got the same problem its very annoying. The apple store is over 2 hours away so when I'm around its going in for a keyboard replacement.

7. atgmac144 macrumors newbie

i don't think there is anything wrong with it. i have a black macbook and whenever i push the caps lock button down hard it doesn't register, then if i push it down lightly it works. idk y but it happens pretty much every time i try to use it.

8. alansmallen macrumors 6502a

I'm having the same problem.

9. JoshLV macrumors regular

Same problem here too. At first I thought it might have been faulty or something, but then realized that it's probably to prevent accidental hits, as previously stated.

10. CalmEnvy macrumors 6502a

With mine it seems you need to push it harder then the rest of the keys. Doesn't matter as I never use the cap lock button anyways.

11. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

Thread title should be changed to: MacRumors Forums "Search" Option Not 100% Visible To Newbies"

Also, it's against the rules to bump threads.

The question was answered in post #5, this thread should be locked.

12. Surely Guest

Surely

Brilliance. Nice, dude. :cool:

13. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

There is nothing wrong with your keyboard. That is normal performance as designed by Apple.