Caps lock key on MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kauai, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Kauai macrumors 6502a

Just got my new MBP, - my first Mac, and I'm extremely pleased thus far with the build quality and OS! :D The only problem I'm having as of right now however is with the caps lock key. I don't know where I picked it up, but ever since I learned how to type (got my first laptop when I was 10) I start my sentences and capitalize by double clicking caps lock. The caps lock key seems to be much more stiff than my last computer (a PC) so I keep having to go back a lot with capitalization.

Is there any way to make it more lax, will I have to get use to this, or should I just retrain myself to use shift? :p And does anyone else notice this?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Apple intentionally design the shift-lock key to require a definite push as opposed to a casual, accidental touch. I don't think that this can be set or changed.

3. mike2732 macrumors member

I have a Apple keyboard - am planning to get a MBP soon, but from my experience with it, you have to hold down the caps lock key longer then just a normal button press (just slightly longer) to get it activated. I think this is on purpose in order to prevent accidently activating it.

Therefore, you're going to have to get used to it --- just use SHIFT like a normal person? XD

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I have a new MBP too and have also run into this Caps Lock issue; it does not turn on with my usual light press (although it always turns off without issue). Has anyone figured out a workaround yet?

5. mike2732 macrumors member

Shift :)

Anyway that's to prevent accidentally pressing it -- which I think is genius on Apple's part.

Edit: fail I failed to realize my blunt repetition -- sorry.

6. Nermal, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011

Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

We obviously have a different definition of "genius"! I think that a breaking change against something that's been standard for 20+ years (without giving an obvious option to change it back) is stupidity, not genius...

7. Resist macrumors 68030

My Caps Lock isn't stiff at all and works just as easy as all the other keys. So I don't get what you guys are talking about.

8. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

Do you mean to say that older Macs don't do this?

As far as I know, this is the way all Macs work but the ones I've used are 4-5 years old at most. It's prevented me from accidentally brushing it and switching caps lock on.

9. kaheiyeh macrumors member

The Caps Lock delay? There's a fix I've been using for a while.

Link: http://www.geocities.jp/nasukoji_7/download/download_setkeyboardled_e.html

It keeps your Caps Lock LED on, even when Caps Lock is disabled. This apparently disables the delay BUT the downside is your LED is always on and you never know when Caps Lock is on or off. For this, consider using one of those on-screen displays telling you if it is on or off.

10. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

I found it a bit weird when I first changed to Mac's. But you soon get used to it. When I use a windows keyboard I do the caps lock on then caps lock off. Where as on Mac's I have gotten used to using the shift.

Position of the @ key is still causes me problems though.

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Correct. This is my... 6th? Mac and it's the first one that does this (my previous one was from 2006).

Thanks, I'll give that a go :)

Unlike the original poster, I'm not using it just for the occasional letter. It's when I try to type a block of capitals and find them coming out in lowercase...

What's wrong with the @ key? :confused:

12. kaheiyeh macrumors member

Do tell me how it goes :)

Ever since I got mine, I've had to stick in quite a lot of fixes that I wish Apple had done in the first place, such as this Caps Lock delay, and disabling mouse acceleration for good.

13. royalgfx1 macrumors member

Weird! I thought I was just imagining things, but it seems this caps lock thing is an issue for other people too! I am one of those niche people who uses the caps lock key instead of shift. It's just been ingrained into my computer use memory.

It is most noticably stiffer, which is annoying for me, as I'm a writer.

Writing this post, almost every instance of a capital letter has required me to stop and pause and fix every capital.

I think this is only a recent macbook alteration, as my old 2007 macbook white, never had this issue!

If there's any fix, please let me know.

14. Resist macrumors 68030

Maybe I don't understand what everyone is talking about then. My caps lock key feels no different than any other key on my 2010 13" Macbook Pro. So I really don't get what everyone is complaining about.

15. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

Just picked up my new MBP 13" yesterday and this was one of the first things I noticed typing. I'm glad it wasn't just in my mind and now that others have pointed out the delay, I can train myself around it.

16. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I don't really understand the 'stiffness' comments either; but there definitely is more of a delay with caps-lock key. Tap any button quickly and that letter will be output - but tap the caps-lock key and the light won't go on. It requires a longer, more deliberate press.

17. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

18. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

There is no delay on my 2011 MBP either.

My friend's 2010 MBP and my briefly owned 2010 MBP all had this "delay".

I think it's idiotic tbh, and I doubt it's intentional, I think they're saying it was intentional to cover their asses, and I don't mean donkeys...