caps lock & num lock backwards?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bmonster, Jan 1, 2008.

1. bmonster macrumors member

Recently, every few times I start my Black Macbook 2.2, the cap locks and num locks keys will be lit, and when I turn them off and attempt to type, it performs the opposite action. I.E. When I turn the the caps lock light OFF all the letters become capitalized and when i turn the num lock OFF, most of my keyboard becomes useless besides the alternative numberpad keys. It used to be a very rare occurrence but lately I am seeming to think it is happening more often. I'm running Leopard by the way and everything is updated. I don't remember for sure if it did this with Tiger but I'm pretty sure it has a couple of times. Thanks

2. iPhonatic macrumors member

I've run into the same problem. It seems to me that its an issue with Leopard. It did not happen on tiger. A restart usually solves the problem. Hopefully Apple will address it soon.

3. Sayewhat macrumors member

Mine just did it today. Love to use the search on here.

4. absurdio macrumors 6502

Man, my MBP didn't have a "whine" issue until i updated to Leopard, and now it sometimes does. I'd never had this reversed CapsLock and NumLock issue before today, and now that I've updated to 10.5.2, It's happened. *sigh* Aren't these updates supposed to fix bugs?
    *sigh*

Anyway, glad I'm not the only one.

[Edit: restart fixed it for me, too. Let's hope it never comes back. ...*further sighing*]

5. nivam macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook Pro C2D and I have this funny bug. Just after updating to 10.5.2... Cool. Two small lights always on... Isnt that great?

6. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

This happened to my 2.2 SR on Saturday when I started it up (first and only time). Got very worried, but a restart sorted it.

7. onebloodonelife macrumors regular

This just happened to me today. Freaked me out a bit, but after seeing your posts, I'm not as worried. I haven't tried restarting yet because I'm copying file to a hard drive, but I'll try it out after that.

8. azhelkov macrumors member

Reset SMC (power management) and it will go away. Instruction is on Apple site.

9. onebloodonelife macrumors regular

Actually, the keyboard update from tonight fixed it. Turned both off automatically, and everything works fine now. :D

10. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Am I missing something?? I have a Black Macbook 2.2, and although I have a Cap Locks Key that lights, there is not a Num Lock Key or Light on the keyboard.

:confused:

11. onebloodonelife macrumors regular

It's the F6 key at the top of the keyboard, which also says num lock on it.

12. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Not on the SR 2.2 Macbook. It says f6 and that is it. No light either.

13. MM07 macrumors 6502a

My 2.2 does not have Num Lock on the F6 key either.

14. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

The newest MBs no longer have either the numlock or the embedded numbers for the keys under your right hand.

Link (Apple.com)