Caps Stuck

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dale Collie, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Dale Collie macrumors member

Why does my CAPS KEY GET STUCK SOMETIMES __ LIKE NOW?

I touch it to get a single cap and it sticks to give me all caps until it decides otherwise. I understand about a light tap vs a holding tap and this doesn't help me turn off caps.

This was happening on my MacBook and is one of the problems that I thought was random (probably hard drive going), but after having all my files and programs moved to this new MacBOOK pro, the problem also occurs here.

Ideas on how to get the caps key to do what it's supposed to do?

Tried to search for this info in the forums and had no luck .... far to many results without any of them dealing with this subject

Thanks

2. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Are you referring to the shift key? Or the caps lock key above it?

3. Dale Collie thread starter macrumors member

Shift / Caps key

When I tap the shift key to create a cap letter, it seems to release properly but the CAPS KEEP GOING. Perhaps I've bumped the CAPS key, but it shouldn't be that sensitive. It needs to be held down to engage it.

However, when I find the all caps going on, I also observe that the CAPS key is lighted. I press it and the light goes off, but the caps continue ... until it somehow decides to give mac back to me

thanks

4. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

The first thing I do on any new computer is disable CAPS LOCK. It is a throwback to the days when people used their computers like TYPEWRITERS. On a Mac, you pay a visit to system preferences and you can define caps lock as caps or even as do nothing. On a PC you have to pay a visit to the registry and reboot for CAPS LOCK to be defanged. It is possible you have a sticky physical caps key but it is more likely your finger is hitting caps lock which on some keyboards is actually BIGGER (and harder to avoid) than the caps key for some stupid reason.