Capsule help please

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by crackcorn, Aug 28, 2010.

1. crackcorn macrumors newbie

i have bought the 1tb capsule some time ago and never set it up. i recently moved out into a new apartment where internet is provided (via ethernet from the wall; i dont know what thats called) but i dont have a modem and am currently connected to the internet by ethernet cable from the wall to my macbook.

is there any way of setting up my time capsule to act as a wireless router without having a modem? if so, how?? any help would be greatly appreciated!! thanks

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If your MacBook works fine without a modem, then your Time Capsule should too. Just set it up normally. I guess your housing cooperative has one fast internet connection that is shared with all residents so there is no need for you to buy a modem as there is one somewhere in the area which is connected via Ethernet

3. Sommer macrumors member

Just open the Airport Tool on your Mac, and run it through. Remember to setup a proper password!

4. crackcorn thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the help guys, but when i attempt to set it up, the capsule has a flashing amber light and when i scan for wireless devices on airport utility, it says no devices could be found.

is there something else i should do first?

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Reset the time capsule. There is a small button on the back.

6. inveresk macrumors newbie

Plug your tc into the Ethernet port to setuo

I think you might find you need to plug your time capsule into the Ethernet wall port in order to set it up. That's what I had to do with mine. No visibility on airport utility until it was Ethernet connected.

7. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Plug the Time Capsule into the Ethernet port in the wall...Make sure the cable from the wall to the Time Capsule is plugged into the WAN Port and NOT the LAN port; Reset (the TImeCapsule) if necessary with a fine paperclip or safety pin on the back hold down for a few seconds until it flashes repeatedly.

You can either Plug your Mac into the Time Capsule via Ethernet or WiFi (make sure WiFi is enabled and turned on on you Mac). and select the Apple (with random numbers WiFi name) that will connect you to your Time Capsule.

Then launch AirPort Utility, Select Create A Wireless Network, create a WiFi name (I choose to hid mine from public view you can do that once you set it up), I would select WPA2 Personal for your WiFi network security. and form there you should be good to go.