Capsule rebel bottom sag fix?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by klempwrsu, Jan 14, 2009.

1. klempwrsu macrumors member

klempwrsu

Has anyone found a fix for the bottom sag that occurs on almost all capsule rebels?

I tried applying inward pressure on it overnight. It turned out good, but that only lasted for 15 minutes afterwords.

2. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

using the dock protector worked for me... until I lost it

3. klempwrsu thread starter macrumors member

klempwrsu

do you just leave it in the dock when it is not in use?

4. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

There was a post awhile back on a fix for this that works very well. Basically, you use a hairdryer to heat up the plastic bottom and then mold it upwards by applying some rubberbands around it from top to bottom. Do this with the cardboard iPhone like cutouts in the case to prevent it from collapsing. Then you stck it in the freezer for about 10 minutes. Wala. No more sagging. Basically it makes the bottom sort of bow upwards and when you put the iPhone in it no chrome shows at all. And the fix lasts. I did it to three of my rebels a few months ago and they are all still perfect. Try it out. Just don't get the plastic too hot cause it will melt. Heat it on low for like 30 seconds maybe only.

Good luck.

5. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

That actually has worked for me as well, adds a slight curve to the bottom but it curves up rather than down, which is good. It did last too so it seems to be a fix, however if you heat the plastic too much you are screwed and will ruin the shape of the rubber shell. Don't over do it!

6. pro3g macrumors member

I called them when my White case started to Sag and they sent me a new one.

7. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

That's new, they have a phone number that can be retrieved publicly? So far I can only contact them via e-mails.

8. klempwrsu thread starter macrumors member

klempwrsu

Well, i tried the blow dryer to freezer trick, and it worked. I can't say for how long, but it definitely fits better. I also e-mailed Switcheasy and i will let you know what they say

9. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

They ask for photos, so I hope you took some before you did the temporary fix.

10. pro3g macrumors member

Sorry, I meant emailed them. But the responded quickly and told me to send a photo and then they sent me out a new case and I got it in less then a week. So if your case is sagging you should just send them a email and get a brand new one free :)

11. key714 macrumors member

i guess i'm lucky because i have 6 rebels and NONE of them have sagging issues :D

12. Crevice macrumors regular

There is a new rebel now, or at least a new version of it called the Rebel Serpent, maybe the sag is fixed in that one. It's on their site www.switcheasy.com

13. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Already in the Capsule Rebel thread, uses the same black plastic that had the problem.

14. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I bought a rebel capsule for my iPhone last week and it does not sag. Before I had it on the phone, the flap was actually curved in slightly, but once it was on the phone it is flush across. Maybe they recently changed the design to fix this.

15. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

Man, I hope so. This case was at the top of my list until I heard about the sagging issue. Maybe I'll reconsider.

16. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

I'll post my own review about the Capsule Rebel Serpent once I get it, I'm looking forward for a non-sagging case, just like what applegurl and MikeyDg got (they're from youtube) unfortunately Carlos had bad luck on it.

17. klempwrsu thread starter macrumors member

klempwrsu

2 Things:

1. Switcheasy said that they would send me a new rebel. I will let you know if there is any sag issue on that one.

2. itsmemorphious recently did a review of the rebel serpent on youtube, and the sag was still there. However, the serpent does look sick.

18. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Update:

Just got it on the mail tonight, and lucky me no sagging! I like how the case looks, I just don't like the fresh scent out of the plastic :p Overall worth it. That rough edged back which looks like the back of a snake is really cool.

19. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I love my Rebel Capsule. I have no sag, perfectly straight across on the bottom. This is definitely my favorite case, really is the best of both soft and hard shells. My friend has a soft silicon on her iPhone and I don't like how it feels "loose"; you can bend the edges back and there is an overall loose feel when you grab the iPhone like there was a little space between the case and the phone. The Capsules feels like one with the iPhone and never shifts or bends during use. The hard shell holds everything in place and keeps is secure. I also really like the dock connector protector; it's easy to remove and really adds a finished look to the overall case.

I bought a universal dock off eBay for cheap so I will be able to use the insert provided with the case and can leave the case on all the time. I give the case an A rating; not quite A+ because the back does get scratched up easily. It doesn't bother me, but I know it would bother some OCD people out there.