Captain Toad Wii U

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by MRU, Dec 3, 2014.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Anyone of you American Wii U owners purchased it and what are your impressions ? It's getting rave reviews and can't wait to pick it up in January when its released here.

If you have got it - please share your thoughts

2. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

I'm wondering, too. To me, it almost seems like a "Mario" version of Zack & Wiki. And I loved that game. It's one of the most underrated/undersold games of the last generation. Captain Toad piques my interest...

3. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

The common thing I keep hearing is you can't jump!

Well duh, it's a puzzle game :)

4. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah Zack & Wiki was utterly awesome but hardly anyone bought it..

5. foobarbazqux, Dec 6, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2014

foobarbazqux macrumors regular

I just got it today. It's awesome. If you like the Mario 3D world bonus levels that this game is based off of, you'll probably like this game. Graphics are also great and just like you'd expect coming from Nintendo.

Similar to Mario 3D world, to complete each level, you have to get the star. This has been really easy so far. In order to get 100% credit for the level, you have to get 3 optional gems and complete an optional goal (e.g. kill all enemies, get X amount of coins, get the gold mushroom, etc). You don't have to do all these in one run. Some of those are actually a little challenging but, in all honesty, it's a pretty easy game. I can see these getting somewhat challenging as the levels progress.

At first I was concerned if they'd be able to put in $40 worth of content in this game but I'm satisfied so far. I'm glad they put a lower price tag on this as it doesn't seem to be worthy of a full $60 price.

One thing that really surprised me is that there are bonus levels available if the game detects a 3D World save game, which I imagine everyone buying this game will have. They are 3D World levels that you get to play as Captain Toad instead of Mario. Pretty fun. They add in ladders so you could get everywhere, considering you can't jump and all. The levels unlock as you get more gems. So far I've only played the first one which is the very first level from 3D World.

I don't think I'll be spending 10's of hours on this game, maybe 10 or so at most, but I think it's worth it. As usual, Nintendo did a great job.

Sorry you guys have to wait another month for it.

6. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU