CAPTCHA problems with Firefox - does anyone have them?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Queenredspecial, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Queenredspecial macrumors regular

Firefox is not letting me see CAPTCHA codes.

I tried disabling all blocking add-ons, and everything -- and it still does it. I used Safari to check if the CAPTCHAs were working on those sites, and they were. So obviously, it's Firefox.

Any ideas??

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Try running Firefox in safe mode to see if the problem persist. If the problem does continue, then the site may be doing something odd that Firefox is getting hung up on.

3. Queenredspecial thread starter macrumors regular

OK!! It worked. Now -- can I do that WITH adblockers? Or does 'safe mode' preclude any use of add-ons?

That really helped, thank you. Now, I would like to know -- exactly what did 'safe mode' remove that allowed the captcha to go through? And can I remove it in non-safe mode"?

The problem is, that in 'safe mode' without ad blockers, the ads are so disruptive that they actually hijack the site and render it almost unusable. that really should be illegal, but anyway...

I would appreciate any help in this department, thank you!

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You using NoScript, by any chance? You need to allow the CAPTCHA site to execute scripts, for it to work properly. For example, reCAPTCHA is a fairly common source for these things. Enable www.recaptcha.com and all will be well.

5. Queenredspecial thread starter macrumors regular

I do use noscript. However, when I was doing all my experimenting, I tried turning it off -- and still, captcha didn't work -- which led me to believe that it wasn't because of NoScript.

I tried removing it completely (uninstall) and restarting Firefox, and then again -- captcha didn't work (but the ads did.) The only way it has worked so far is in 'safe mode.' But then, so do the ads.

Does that make sense?

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

From the linked site,
    AdBlock and NoScript are the likely culprits. One option is to just disable them when you reach those sites, or you can add exceptions to ensure the CAPTCHA parts show up. I'd have to see the page in question to give advice on specific exception additions, but shouldn't be too hard to do.

7. Queenredspecial thread starter macrumors regular

I appreciate your time.

That is exactly what I did, but all the playing around didn't help. I couldn't isolate the script that is responsible for captcha. If you would like to check it out, it is http://www.ninjavideo.net/video/25912 (for example, with the applet activated.)

Either way, thanks so much for you time!

8. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I checked out that site. Even in safe mode that movie wouldn't load. I think it's a codec issue. They have a link for Mac to install DivX viewer or something. Nothing seems to be getting blocked by addons, it just says there was an error. Do you have another example that could be looked at?