Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Rogue Amoeba today announced the launch of Audio Hijack 3 for Mac, which allows users to record audio from any source, including Skype, Safari, or hardware inputs like microphones. As described by the company, "if it can be heard on Mac OS X, Audio Hijack can record it."

Audio Hijack 3 follows in the footsteps of Rogue Amoeba's Audio Hijack, which was first released in 2002, and Audio Hijack Pro, a second version that added additional features and support for various audio plugins. Version 3 of the software introduces a new look and dozens of new functions to make this the most full-featured version of Audio Hijack yet.

audiohijack3-800x500.jpg
Audio Hijack 3 includes a new audio capture interface, which lets users see the sound as it's being captured using a pipeline-style view that organizes different types of audio into Blocks for full customization.
The most visible change is Audio Hijack's new audio capture interface. The terrific pipeline-style view of exactly how audio flows makes Audio Hijack 3 a snap to learn for veteran and rookie users alike. Different types of Blocks bring in audio from application and hardware sources (Source Blocks), adjust it with audio effects (Effects Blocks), then record it and send it out to speakers (Output Blocks). The fully customizable layout means users can configure the exact pipeline they need, to get the audio results they want.
The app is organized into three sections, including Sessions, Recordings, and Schedule, and Session Templates let users complete common tasks quickly. It's possible to record multiple formats at once, or different sources in sync, and there are simple tools for accessing various audio effects.

audiohijacktemplates-800x500.jpg
Dirty audio can be fixed with Denoise, Declick, and Dehum tools, and there are new preset options for saving configurations. For the first time, Audio Hijack can record in lossless FLAC format and in high-efficiency AAC.

Jason Snell of SixColors and Chris Breen of Macworld have both written detailed reviews of Audio Hijack 3 that are well worth reading to get a solid sense of what's new and how the software works.

audiohijack3interface-800x500.jpg
Audio Hijack 3 is available for Macs running OS X 10.9 and up. It can be downloaded from the Rogue Amoeba website for $49. New users will need to pay the standard $49 price, but people who purchased an Audio Hijack product in the past can upgrade to Audio Hijack 3 for $25. Customers who purchased Audio Hijack Pro since February of 2014 can download the new software for free.

Article Link: Capture Any Audio on a Mac With Audio Hijack 3

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
This app looks awesome.

I currently use SoundFlower to record audio from different applications but the user interface on this blows it out of the water.

Might give it a try!

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
I'll stick with free soundflower.

Soundflower breaks Handoff for me. Callers can't hear my mic output, even when I am not using the Soundflower audio sources.

----------

Oh yes! The new version looks great!

Fun times that used to be.

Had a lot of fun with the reverse feature back in the day, listening for hidden messages in songs and practicing backwards talking.

camnchar

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
Rar! Rar! MacRumors posting advertisements masquerading as articles!

Just kidding I bought the app. Looks awesome.

rekhyt

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2008
Part of the old MR guard.
Not on Mac App Store, unfortunately.

Yeah, I know. It probably uses some private API or can't get past the sandboxing restriction, or ...

But still.

Prefer MAS. Centralised billing, serial key/details storage, security of payment.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Not on Mac App Store, unfortunately.

Yeah, I know. It probably uses some private API or can't get past the sandboxing restriction, or ...

But still.

Prefer MAS. Centralised billing, serial key/details storage, security of payment.

If you're interested, they have an app on the MAS store called Piezo that is a cheapened version of Audio Hijack that does play nice in the sandbox.

Is it acceptable to steal an app that was created for stealing music?

There are many uses for a recording app besides stealing music. :rolleyes:

octothorpe8

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2014
Been using this for years now to record my local NPR station's morning news program while I'm asleep. I sync it over to my phone when I get up and listen to it on the train in the morning.

Every morning, it launches a URL of my choosing (the audio stream), records it and then drops it into iTunes when it's done. For a while I was alternately having it drop the recording into a Dropbox folder, so that works just fine as well. I am using a web browser for the stream, but have experimented with QuickTime Player and iTunes itself, but lately find the web stream the most reliable.

Have also used it to grab bits of audio from YouTube for stage production stuff.

Haven't tried this new version yet, but these guys make really good products so I'll definitely be upgrading.

Their lightweight audio editor Fission is pretty nice too.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I've used Audio Hijack for years. It comes in really handy. I'm not keen on their new interface. What is this current obsession with black windows? I find it much harder to read. I'm hoping they included a way to turn that feature off.

carrrrrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2010
PNW
Or you could just plug in your iPhone to your laptop, go to QuickTime, select you iPhone as the source, launch Spotify* and record hours of Music for free.

*Edit - or any app for that matter.

Last edited:

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
$50 seems a bit steep for something that just steals music.
If you're going to still music why not use bit torrent? Also there's plenty of blogs that host downloads of music in lossless or FLAC If that's what you want.
Maybe $4.99 ?
There's got to be something I'm missing here

camnchar

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
If you're going to still music why not use bit torrent? Also there's plenty of blogs that host downloads of music in lossless or FLAC If that's what you want.
Maybe $4.99 ?

I use it to record podcasts where I interview guests. It's great for managing the audio streams for both participants and combining them into a single file that I can then edit.

Seems a bit unwieldy to use for stealing music.

octothorpe8

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2014
Maybe $4.99 ?

Read my post above for time-shifting streamed broadcasts, on a schedule.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Maybe $4.99 ?

They've been selling this for like over a decade. They aren't going to sink to today's standards of pricing. They have customers who are going to pay again, and who are paying for the third time.

$5 apps are not as polished, and get quickly abandoned. They don't have years of development behind them either most likely.

It's the little things that make it different compared to the rest, like the timing and organization. Again, I also like how you can be recording, tell it to cut at that moment but still record, and have the file ready to rename, edit tags, and do whatever with it.

No, you wouldn't steal music with this in general. It is handy when they have festivals going on, and you want to record the live set from a web stream though.

---

I'd second Fission. I really like the clean trims I get from it.

AlecZ

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
Berkeley, CA
Maybe $4.99 ?

It can do a lot more than steal music, like record audio from a call. I'd imagine anyone trying to pirate music would use a torrent. $50 is still expensive, though.

cr2

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
Any suggestions for Video?

Is there any application / method to capture video or active window

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.