Capture Card for Mac to record from Xbox 360

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by marcin0903, Aug 6, 2009.

1. marcin0903 macrumors regular

Hi, I wanna to record image from Xbox 360 while I'm playing Rock Band 2, and put some videos on youtube, but I need for this Capture Card. I'm looking for that one which is compatible with Mac, of course Leopard ;), it has to be quiet good, but I don't want to spend on it about 200$. My budget is 70-80$. I will be using it with MacBook Aluminium, 2GHz, Late 2008.

Also I heard that with capture card I can as well play Xbox 360 games on screen of my MacBook? Is it possible and if yes how to do that ;)?

2. benpatient macrumors 68000

um....good luck, guy.

with a laptop that can be less than easy, even a good laptop, because you're stuck with USB as the interface, and that means considerable input lag. It would be very hard to play rock band on your laptop display.

some things to consider:

1. since there would be a delay on the capture side of things (your macbook screen), you'll want to split the video instead of going straight into the capture card. That means you'll need a splitter so that you can have it feed into your TV, too.

2. External capture cards are more expensive than an equivalent internal capture card, and generally slower. There might be an expressport card that would be faster, but I've never seen one, and it would be expensive if it's out there.

3. you probably want to record the sound as well, right? that means you need to capture that separately, and sync the audio and video up.

4. Do you want SD or HD recording? HD will put a huge strain on your USB pipeline because there won't be a buffer. There is a reason that video cameras pre-HDD/Flash needed a firewire port and not a USB one...USB is bad at maintaining consistent throughput. A capture card typically has a pretty small buffer that it unloads to the software of the computer, and if that buffer runs out, you get stuttering and drop-outs.

you may be able to find the hardware to do this for under 100 dollars, but the software will probably cost as much or more.