Capture Data from a list of URL's

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Puppies4life, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Puppies4life macrumors newbie

Puppies4life

Hi guys,

I have a business and I lost my list of email addresses that I had saved, over 30,000.

The only way for me to get those emails again is to manually open every sales record and copy and paste the email address.

I currently have a automator script running that does the following:
    1) Opens a text file (the text file has all of the links for the receipts... html://mywebsite.com/orders/1232421)
    2) Converts text to url
    3) Get Text from Webpage
    4) Get email from text
    5) and then save the email addresses in a text file.

This takes a really long time (3 minutes for 100 links) because it has to download all of the content from the url.

I wanted to know if there was an action script or something else that I can do in bulk that will be able to get all of this information for me faster.

I really appreciate all of your help with this.
    Jonathan.

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Assuming you don't have a backup of any kind? (you haven't said where you lost them from so hard to advise further...)

If the email addresses are in a webpage then they exist in a database on the server, you should ask whoever provides the service whether they can extract them for you, it will be much easier.

3. Puppies4life thread starter macrumors newbie

Puppies4life

Unfortunately I can't contact the server and for them to pull it off. They already offer the ability to download the data but the email addresses are not available.
    I currently have the Automator running and it works but it takes a long time to download all of the web data for each sales receipt. I basically need for it to find the mailto: line and copy the email address.

Any chance to do this?
    Thanks.

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

I'm moving house so I don't have the time to write it for you but there is an automator action to "extract email addresses from web pages" from memory, that should do the trick.