Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
is there any capture devices for a mac? i have an ati all-in-wonder pro 128mb video card for my PC, but i might be selling it. i couldn't put that video card in a mac could i? is not, how else could i capture video?

thanks in advance

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
I'm sure you're aware you can connect DV sources via firewire... so that's a cheap and easy option. Sorry, i don't know diddly-squat about cards though.

next!

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
pdpfilms said:
I'm sure you're aware you can connect DV sources via firewire... so that's a cheap and easy option. Sorry, i don't know diddly-squat about cards though.

next!

where can i find an adapter? also, what about quality?

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
well i see the capture devices on the apple website, so has anyone used/has any of these? if so, how are they? quality?

also, i have a pinnalce dazzle for my pc, but do you think it'll work on a mac?

unixkid

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2004

grab a firewire cord, plug it in ur camera and comp, open iMove and start capturing

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
unixkid said:
grab a firewire cord, plug it in ur camera and comp, open iMove and start capturing

the thing is, my camera uses usb. and i couldn't get it to work. i also like watching tv on my computer

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
i noticed that the powermacs use agp slots for video cards? could i put in my ati aiw 9800 pro? what about the software though?

dvdh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2004
I school that I teach at has a video editing lab and we have a combination of Dazzles and PyroAV Links for capturing from Analog source. Both work fine with Macs (although we have them hooked up through firewire 400).

If you are looking to only do a little video capture, the easy way might be to use (borrow) a DV cam as a pass through to get from Analog to DV via Firewire.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
dvdh said:
I school that I teach at has a video editing lab and we have a combination of Dazzles and PyroAV Links for capturing from Analog source. Both work fine with Macs (although we have them hooked up through firewire 400).

If you are looking to only do a little video capture, the easy way might be to use (borrow) a DV cam as a pass through to get from Analog to DV via Firewire.

what software do you use with the dazzle? do you think the usb would work?

i already have a camera, but it's usb, so i can't hook it up to my mac

dvdh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2004
twoodcc said:
what software do you use with the dazzle? do you think the usb would work?

i already have a camera, but it's usb, so i can't hook it up to my mac

We were using Premiere with the Dazzle and iMovie with the AV Link. I think you should be able to get the Dazzle to work with iMovie, though.

BTW, is you camera USB 1 or 2. If it is USB 1, there is no way to capture in real-time directly from the camera, however, USB 2.0 should support it without any third party software.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
it's usb 2.0, and i have the mac mini, which is 2.0 also, right?

i thought imovie only used firewire? i tried before and couldn't get it to recognize the camera. any advice?

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
well i was reading on the pinnacle website, and under minimum requirements, it only windows. it doesn't say anything about mac os x at all. so is there any way to get this to work?

dvdh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2004
twoodcc said:
it's usb 2.0, and i have the mac mini, which is 2.0 also, right?

i thought imovie only used firewire? i tried before and couldn't get it to recognize the camera. any advice?

Yep, looks like you're right about the lack of USB 2 support in iMovie. It seems that the same is true with Avid's free editor, and a quick search of Macupdate didn't seem to provide any USB 2 solutions either. . . . Sorry, but it seems like I can't be of much more help . . .

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
dvdh said:
Yep, looks like you're right about the lack of USB 2 support in iMovie. It seems that the same is true with Avid's free editor, and a quick search of Macupdate didn't seem to provide any USB 2 solutions either. . . . Sorry, but it seems like I can't be of much more help . . .

well, thanks for trying. any advice on a different capture device? i would like to import from my camcorder (sony dvd handycam) so i would need good quality. which dazzle have you used? how do you like it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.