Capture Digital 8

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by gator95, Nov 18, 2007.

1. gator95 macrumors newbie

I'm sure this has been posted and I am using the wrong search criteria. I have an old Sony Digital 8 TRV320. My goal is to move all of the tapes to DVD for storage. I would like to keep them in a format that can be edited at a later date. What is the best format to do this and what software do you recommend. I am currently using iLife 05 on a G5 iMac. Thanks.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

DVD will not be practical for storage, while at the same time maintaining the ability to edit later without losing quality.
    The only way I can think of would be to import to iMovie, then export as DV Full Quality, and then burn those .dv files to DVD as data. (Although, many of them will be much larger than a DVD.)

3. gator95 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alternatives

Thank you for such a quick reply. I'll ask a different question then. Using a more current camera such as one with a built in hard drive, how do you store files short of having a terrabyte of hard drive capacity? I don't shoot that much since it is just to watch the kids growing up. Usually, it is a 5 minute clip with the exception of the annual birthdays and holidays.

4. Macnoviz macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

I think MPEG-4 using H.264 compression (available in iLife) could be a good balance of quality, compression and editability