Capture into DV on a Mac, play on a PC?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Keebler, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Keebler macrumors 68030

Hi folks,

This is confusing me. I've done this before without issue, but I transferred 19 MiniDV tapes onto Mac using iMovie into DV format (while I edited another project on my other mac in FCP).

My client could only play some of the files on his Windows machine (win7) using Quicktime. Then he may have deleted Quicktime and now Windows Movie Maker has taken over and changed the default file opening so he can't open the others.

Yes, I do have a copy of the files on my computer.

I saw this suggestion from Apple's board, but I don't seem to have this option of dv-avi in Quicktime (7) Pro?

" Export "Movie to AVI" and use the DV Stream format.
    This makes a .dv file inside and AVI container which will work with Movie Maker. "

Should I try exporting with QuickTime Pro as AVIs? Would that work on a PC?

Other clients have used the DV files so I'm a little confused why this client can't ?

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Cheers,
    keebler

2. TheEddiePShow macrumors newbie

TheEddiePShow

No avi's are an old file type and require codecs to be downloaded to be played with a windows machine or they can download vlc player to play avi files. But if they're going to do that much work, they can just download quicktime again.

3. alph45 macrumors member

you could render in h.264 and wrap in mpeg4 instead. don't know about qt windows, but mac version needs a plugin (Perian for example) to play avi files.

never thought of dv as a delivery codec, regardless of the wrapper, but haven't messed with tape in some time.

seems to be a user error.

4. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks. The client is coming over I ran a few test files and yes, user error may be part of the issue