Capture issue with FCP

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Alucardx03, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Alucardx03 macrumors 6502a

Hi everyone. I'm new to FCP and have been teaching myself how to use it. I have a question, however.

I'm transferring HDV footage from a Sony HDR-HC7 camcorder. At one point, there is about a 9 second break in footage. When the new clip starts, the capture box will say "searching for media" a few seconds into the new clip. Because of this, I lose about 5 seconds of the second clip. Is there any way to make FCP not do this? Is it a problem with the tape's timecode?

2. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I also have always find problems with FCP and timecode breaks (which is what I think may be happening to you).

I haven't found a solution to this when I searched for this on Google (but I may not be searching well enough).

For me, when the timecode breaks, the program hangs and stops capturing or resumes and loses the beginning of the second clip. I just watch the tape until the after the code breaks and pause it (so I can capture a new clip in FCP).

I don't know if you can do this, but I recommend pausing your footage right after the timecode break and then capturing a new clip.

Hope it helps.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

There also might be a capture setting to ignore timecode.

4. LukeG macrumors newbie

If you keep getting timecode breaks on a certain tape, one way to fix it is to get a second DV camera, connect the two by firewire and play the tape while recording onto the second tape.

This lays down new timecode (although some pro cameras have an option to duplicate the timecode, in which case you need to disable that) which should then be able to be captured without the timecode breaks.

5. xStep macrumors 68000

Perhaps you can try the capture now option to grab those 5 seconds.

6. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

this is a problem with how the tape was shot, not with FCP. avoid TC breaks when shooting and you wont' have problems. also when shooting, this is why it is important to let the tape roll for a couple seconds before you shoot anything important.

for recovering this part, pause the tape just before the second clip and do a capture now...