Capture settings for HDR-HC1 and FCP

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ribenawrath, Jan 17, 2010.

1. ribenawrath macrumors newbie

I'm trying to import footage from DV tape into Final Cut Pro, Version 6.

It's captured in 1080i PAL, and When I set it up I keep getting this error message...

'Device is not connected or the capture preset is not setup correctly. You may still log offline clips.

This might also happen if you play DV footage in an HDV device.'

I don't understand why, everything is plugged in accordingly, and I have even imported footage into FCP using this camera before!

I'm sure it's something simple I'm missing, but it's driving me nuts.

Thanks in advance for help :)

2. ribenawrath thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there anyone who can help me with this? It's really bugging me, and I have to get it working again because my work is due.

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Have you double checked to make sure the camera is in HDV playback mode and not DV playback mode?

Lethal

4. ribenawrath thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I have already checked it.
    It is set up as need be, trying to import 1080i footage

5. ribenawrath thread starter macrumors newbie

ok so I am able to import footage now, using iMovie to import. And able to link and import camera on FCP 6 on another computer. So it is something to do with FCP on my computer...what could it possibly be!?

6. GS17 macrumors member

GS17

I have the same camera but NTSC and had the same problem but with premiere cs4. I did the iMovie capture but the clip was captured as 1440 x 1080. You don't mention what mac are u using, mine was in my mbp. After researching I found that the system requirement for capturing hdv in premiere needed a 7200 rpm hdd and mine has a 500 gig 5400 rpm And that's the problem.

7. ribenawrath thread starter macrumors newbie

I am using the latest iMac, 3.06GHz Intel Core Duo 2, with 4GB RAM, and the drive is a 7200.

I'm using the same settings in FCP as were on my old iMac, so what could it be?

8. coldsweat macrumors 6502

coldsweat

Have you checked the audio & video settings menu to ensure that FCP is setup for HDV capture?

Sequence Preset: HDV - 1080i50

Capture Preset: HDV

Device Control Preset: Sony HDV 1080i50 Firewire

And another possibility...... FCP checks for connected devices when it starts, so make sure that the camera is connected & powered up BEFORE starting FCP.

9. ribenawrath thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I've done that, been using those settings and others. Still no avail.

Tried linking up camera before and after booting FCP, just getting the same error message

'Device is not connected or the capture preset is not setup correctly. You may still log offline clips.

This might also happen if you play DV footage in an HDV device.'

Even though iMovie will find and import the footage?!

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Try unhooking everything, put the tape in the camera and hit play, hook it back up to your Mac and launch FCP. I've found that FCP can easily be confused about whether the device is setup for DV or HDV but if you have HDV material playing back in the camera then FCP is more likely to get the right signal.

Lethal