"Capture the Flag" enemy detector idea - I need help with something.

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by moonman239, Mar 12, 2013.

1. moonman239 macrumors 68000

So here's an idea I just might carry out. Ever heard of "Capture the Flag?" You have two teams. Each team has a flag. Each team's objective is to capture the other team's flag and bring it back to their "base" without being tagged by the other team. If a team member knows there's an intruder on their base, he or she can tag the intruder, as long as the intruder is on that person's base. If the intruder leaves the base, he is considered safe.

Anyway, my idea is to develop an app for such a game. This app will alert each team member if an opponent is close by. I may even add a walkie-talkie function so team members can communicate with each other. The app will not allow any function that goes against the rules set by an agreement between the two teams.

To alert team members to an intruder, I plan to have the iPhone's turn their GPS receivers on. If I can, I'll even make sure Bluetooth is enabled so that, if the GPS fails to indicate there's an intruder, or the phone is not connected to the Internet, the user will still get an alert if the phone "sees" the intruder's phone

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

And what's the "something" you need help with?

3. moonman239 thread starter macrumors 68000

Well, I'd like to ask something. Is it possible for the app to look at the list of nearby Bluetooth devices? The idea is that the teams could register the names of their iPhones, so that if a user's device can "see" his opponent's device over Bluetooth, the user will be alerted. Also, do you think that the phone's location estimate would be accurate enough? I'm thinking of having the app calculate the opponent's distance to the user, so the user will know how close the opponent is. The flag guards would find this very useful.

Edit: I should add that at my local park, I think my phone was able to get a very good location fix. It's probably because of nearby Wi-Fi hotspots.

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

GameKit includes some Bluetooth capabilities.

5. moonman239 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for the tip. I have a couple of questions.

1) How many players can I connect using GameKit? An unofficial blog says 4, but I'd like to be able to connect more than 4.
    2) If a phone leaves the connection range of another phone, then enters that phone's range, will the app be able to see that the phone came back, assuming the phones were initially connected? If not, I'll have to restrict use of the "opponent detector" to cases where all phones can get a good location fix and are connected to the Internet.

6. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

You may connect up to 16 over Bluetooth, but I don't think it has adequate range. In my own apps using Bluetooth multiplayer I say players must be within "shouting distance" of each other. If you're within shouting distance, why are you bothering with it as a walkie talkie?

Also, I feel like telling you when an opponent is nearby would take away some of the fun from the game. The value of sneaking around and hiding goes right out the window. I suppose being able to see a map of teammates... And maybe being able to draw on a shared map or something... Would be really helpful and fun.

7. moonman239 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thank you for your input. I will take your ideas into consideration. I've got a great idea as far as shared maps are concerned. I could have the app generate a satellite view image using the map view. Then, the team captain can use pins to make a plan for each of his teammates. Each team member could also locate each other. I could also make a distress button to tell designated team members that a teammate needs help. Maybe the flag guard saw an opponent and needs a runner to come and help catch the opponent.