Capture the screen as a video

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CaptainJeff, May 4, 2010.

1. CaptainJeff macrumors member

Here is (what I hope is) a quick and easy one.

I want to capture what is going on my Mac's screen as a video. For example. I want to turn something on, start an application and demo a few features, and then turn the something off, resulting in a video file of my screen during that period, showing my application demo.

What's a easy way to do this? Thanks.

2. sh0vel macrumors member

sh0vel

3. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

ok, so there are several optons:

a) Free and easiest: Using Quicktime X Screen recording feature (included under QuickTime X/File...). This feature (available under Snow Leopard only) works pretty good. Once you do record the screen, you can easily import it into iMovie, edit it and export it according to your needs. It also records audio during the recording (except for the audio from your computer).

b) If you wish to do short and simple recordings and place them on the internet for free, take a look at Jing

c) dedicated apps, with prices that range from aprox 25 to 100 USD. Most notable ScreenFlow and Camtasia, that do every trick in the book, recording multiple audio, text captions, animation 3D effects, etc. Other a bit more simple solutions: Screenium, iShowU, Screen Mimic, Snapz Pro X. I personally recommend ScreenFlow.

Hope this helped,

cheers!

4. CaptainJeff thread starter macrumors member

Great answers folks. Thanks for the quick responses!