Capture Video USB Webcam

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Bollockser, May 19, 2015.

1. Bollockser macrumors regular

Ive got several webcams, and I've tried using Quicktime's new movie recording and the frame rate is pathetically slow.

Mac Mini 2010, brand new SSD, 8GB RAM, Yosemite.

I snagged an oldschool external iSight camera off eBay and iMovie does not recognize it.

Adobe Premiere does not recognize either of these cameras.

All I want to do is record continuous video, 720p or 1080p, close to 30fps.

Can someone recommend an application that will recognize and record a USB webcam in full frame rate?

2. mns579 macrumors member

Several items:

Frame rate is going to depend greatly on available light, no matter the camera. As Kurosawa was reputedly fond of shouting on set (and my first advice to you): "More light!"

Was this eBay Apple iSight camera supposed to be in working condition?

Is the iSight camera turned on? You turn it off/on by twisting the ring at the end of the lens tube.

I have one of these old iSight cameras working with Mavericks. I don't have a Yosemite installation to test it on.

You might try VLC's capture (File > Open Capture Device > Capture). VLC seems somewhat snappier to me.

"All I want to do is record continuous video, 720p or 1080p, close to 30fps."

Probably not going to happen. You'll get much better results with a standalone camera. Although a computer can capture video, it's not the primary function of a computer. Use a device designed for the purpose for optimum results.