Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

multinode

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
I need to capture a video from my screen to insert into a powerpoint slide, but I can't find a suitable app to do that. I've tried Movavi (Russian), but it has some serious problems. I don't want to capture the entire screen ... just a small selected portion of it.

I'm running 10.6.8 on a MacBookPro.

Any suggestions?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I need to capture a video from my screen to insert into a powerpoint slide, but I can't find a suitable app to do that. I've tried Movavi (Russian), but it has some serious problems. I don't want to capture the entire screen ... just a small selected portion of it.

I'm running 10.6.8 on a MacBookPro.

Any suggestions?

You can do this with Quicktime that is included with your Mac. See the "recording" section of this page.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I don't think Quicktime allows me to make a movie and select a portion of the screen to do that. yes/no?

It does. This is from the page I linked.

jHyeo9O.png

multinode

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
I tried doing a screen capture with QT. It worked well in capturing an on screen video, but I couldn't select a portion of the screen ... it only worked with the full screen. What an I missing pse?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I tried doing a screen capture with QT. It worked well in capturing an on screen video, but I couldn't select a portion of the screen ... it only worked with the full screen. What an I missing pse?

I just tried it and it worked. AFTER you click the record button you need to select the area of the screen you want to record then click the start record button in the middle of the selected area.

multinode

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
Thx ... I'm using QT version 10.0. What vs are you using? I can't select the portion of the screen I want to record.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thx ... I'm using QT version 10.0. What vs are you using? I can't select the portion of the screen I want to record.

I am on 10.2. I start QT then in File menu select New Screen Recording, then click the red record button. A grey bar comes across the screen saying click anywhere to record full screen or to mouse select the area I want to record. After using the mouse to select I click the start record recording button in the middle of the selected area and it starts recording that area of the screen.

multinode

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
I'm using OSX 10.6.8 ... how about you? I'll get QT 10.2 ... I wonder if it will work on 10.6.8.

Thanks for all your help.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I'm using OSX 10.6.8 ... how about you? I'll get QT 10.2 ... I wonder if it will work on 10.6.8.

Thanks for all your help.

I am on Mountain Lion 10.8.5, but I don't think that matters. Could be though. Just run software update should get you the latest QT

multinode

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
Thx ... I guess I'm screwed. Software Update doesn't give me a later QT and I can't find it anywhere on the Apple site. I'm using OSX 10.6.8 because like others, I don't want to lose Rosetta.

Would you send me a copy of your QT 10.2 pse.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thx ... I guess I'm screwed. Software Update doesn't give me a later QT and I can't find it anywhere on the Apple site. I'm using OSX 10.6.8 because like others, I don't want to lose Rosetta.

Would you send me a copy of your QT 10.2 pse.

That won't work. QT is more than just the app, it a framework built into the OS. From this post it looks like Snow Leopard won't do it. :(

multinode

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
Hello Weasel

I tried QT 10.1 on OSX 10.7 and I tried QT 10.2 on OSX 10.8 ... same results. Yes both QTs allow me to select a portion of the screen for a video capture BUT they both have minimum screen select sizes ... ugh! I need about x=250, y=450. Their minimum x for the selected area is 480.

So my question still stands ... what is a good app to capture a video from my screen?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.