Capturing Audio & Video Separately in iMovie

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by JFx1963, Jan 31, 2009.

1. JFx1963 macrumors newbie

Hello all,

My first thread in this forum. I've scoured the boards and didn't find anything on this, so here goes...

I want to record (capture in real time) audio and video-- separately-- using my DV w/Firewire and the stereo output from my audio mixer. I can only seem to use the line-in audio in the "voiceover" mode. I don't see any set-up options in preferences to bypass the firewire streamed audio and use the line-in, instead.

I want to avoid having to record them separately (or over dub) and then sync the two in an editing mode, because it's drumming and too detailed without control tracks.

If there's no way to split the two signals, my only thought was whether I could record the audio to GB, while simultaneously recording the video (with ambient room mic) with iM. I hesitate to do this though, due to the amount of memory and processes going on with that. I fear a matter/anti-matter type reaction might occur.:confused:

Ideally, I'd like to have a nice blend of room mic and line mic directly during the capture process. Is there any way the Mac, with it's resources, can do this?

Thanks.

2. JFx1963 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I tried the simultaneous recording of Line-In Audio with GarageBand and Video and Room Mic with iMovie, and my MBP recorded everything smoothly. I then sent the audio to iMovie and nudged it until it was in sync with the video. It came close, but there's got to be a better way. It looked something like this