Capturing HDTV at proper aspect ratio

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Dimwhit, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

My company runs a short spot on the weekly news that I grab from TV and post to our website. Currently, I use a DV bridge and capture it in iMovie. Works great--quick and easy.

Recently, however, our news station had been filming all the spots in HD (or digital widescreen as they call it, if that's different). I'd like to start capturing that video instead, but I'm having trouble.

I use iMovie HD (because I don't like iMovie 08), so I created a new project and selected the DV Widescreen format. Didn't work. It took the HD video and stretched it to fill the full apsect ratio that the DV Widescreen format uses. I also tried the HDV 720p and HDV 1080i formats, but they didn't work.

Is there a way to capture HDTV signals in iMovie and preserve the aspect ratio as it is broadcast? Hopefully that makes some sense.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If the station is claiming that its picture is "Digital Widescreen," then it is not HDTV. The ATSC digital broadcast standard includes 18 formats. Only three of these formats are HDTV.

3. Dimwhit thread starter macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

That makes sense. So is there no way to capture it properly?

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

My guess is that the video that you are trying to capture has non-square pixels. You need to compensate accordingly.