Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbonante

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Hello All,

I've just recently purchased a Sony HDR FX-7 camcorder and have been shooting in both HDV and DV formats.

I'm using the newest final cut pro bundle as well.

When i shoot in DV i first set my audio/video settings in final cut pro and BAM! it works like a pro. So far to hang ups but im new to capturing HD footage and thats were the problem comes in.

When i set up Final Cut Pro to capture my HDV video i use the following settings:

sequence preset: HDV - 1080i60
capture preset: HDV
device control preset: Sony HDV FireWire

I've tried other setting to but the the problem is not getting FCP to recognize the camera it after i actually log the footage and play it back.

Once the video is captured into fcp and i got play it back it looks "shinny" and any movement has distorted lines through it? I don't know any other way to explain this other then the footage looks horrible and un-useable.

I'm also on a new, 3 month old mac-book pro with leopard OS and 2 GB of ram.

just a thought.. i have two video cards. If i switch to the the higher quality one will the video look better then?

Any suggestions why this might be happening?

Thanks in advance!

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
I once connected to a Sony HDV camera that had to have a menu item set before transferring HD video to the computer. Check the manual to see if that might be an issue.

As for the 'shinny' effect, post a picture.

For performance reasons you likely should use the better video card when editing. That might give better looking video when doing some editing tasks. It shouldn't make any difference for finished exported video files.

jbonante

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Thank you xStep... I pulled out the manual and read about converting HDV and the menu settings. It suggest that if you plan to record in HDV and transfer you'll need to make sure the I-link connection is turned off so i checked and it was. Darn!

I'll try to post a pic but it seems to only happen with movement.

I realized now that whatever video card i use it shouldn't effect the output of the video.

Thanks for your help!

Do you think it could be a codec issue? how would i know? hmmmm more research.. it never ends! lol

rabbisound

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2010
strange the picture should look great, are you using a recent version of FCP ?
What about UnlimitedRT is this turned on ?
what about try and export a portion of what you're captured "shiny" to a quicktime .mov file, playback in Quicktime to check if it's shiny".
Failing that maybe capture the RAW HDV stream .mts using Apples AVCVideoCap which comes free in their FREE FireWireSDK26, which in itself is a great way to archive all of your DV and HDV tapes, you can play them back in VLC nicely, try adding that captured footage straight to your FCP timeline FCP will work out the best settings from that and adjust your project accordingly.
Also I prefer to capture HDV in FCP using Apples own HDV codec the name of which escapes me - "Apple Intermediate HDV" something maybe ? anyway it's in FCP try it, there's a 1080/60i for NTSC and a 108050i for PAL.

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
Thank you xStep... I pulled out the manual and read about converting HDV and the menu settings. It suggest that if you plan to record in HDV and transfer you'll need to make sure the I-link connection is turned off so i checked and it was. Darn!

That is half of the solution according to page 89 of the manual.

By the way, the reference to [i.Link Conv] is in regard to converting HDV recorded signals to DV standard def signals.

jbonante

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
rabbisound - you brought up some good points, thank you!

I'm using the latest version of final cut pro

Unlimited RT is on

When i export to QT and try to play it that's when you see the shininess and blur of lines when somethings in motion.

I've tried capturing with Apple codecs and regular HDV settings... nothing seems to make a difference.

I'm lost 100% when it comes to FirewireSDK26. it allows you to create your own firewire connects?

All the forums and help topics are on getting final cut to recognize the camera. I don't have a problem with that so it's hard to find out any information on this matter.

I've tried work arounds like importing the HD video into the latest version of imovie but the same thing happens.

When i view the footage on the camera/tv/capture window i don't see it... only shows up on playback in FCP...

Could it be the tapes i used? (Sony Digital HD Video) the firewire cable?

I always want to set up my workflow for HDV 1080/60i right? the camera shoots in HDV 1080i

xStep - Thanks for clarifying that. I understood once i re-read the manual what the i.link settings do.

Anymore suggestions?

Thanks again!

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
It sounds like what you are seeing is just interlacing which is normal because computer displays are progressive and thus have an inherent inability to properly show interlaced video.

Lethal

jbonante

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
lethalwolfe.. so what your saying is this may be normal?

Is there a work around? should i capture it in 1080p instead? why such bad quality until exporting?

I uploaded a sample onto youtube... Once watch back on youtube it doesn't do what i've been explaining... seems like when i compress the file it goes away... ???

if thats the case whats then best exporting settings for internet? dvd is mpeg 2 correct?

Isn't it hard to work with bad quality footage? is that the only choice of work flow we have to choose from? (bad quality until export)? hmm...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B8FamEJJSg

KeithPratt

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2007
Is this your problem?

You seem to have got this, but for the benefit of others reading this thread, interlacing is not a fault with your video. As Lethal said, it's just a conflict between a TV system that has since its inception been based on interlacing and computers that are progressive scan. It makes it more confusing that some software assumes you'll want interlaced video de-interlaced and does it automatically, whilst other software leaves it to you to make that decision.

If you want to play your video back on a TV, don't de-interlace. If you want to put it on YouTube, do de-interlace.

rabbisound

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2010
Hi - sorry I was really vague about the SDK (software developer kit) these are all complete and ready Apple Firewire Applications and definately come in handy for anyone working in video or wanting to capture content from their DVR they're recorded off TV etc.

I capture alot of HDV through FCP to edit but I also try to back up the tapes RAW and within that Firewire SDK 26 is one I use alot called AVCVideoCap perfect for HDV and DV and obscure formates that you may come across like MicroMV.

Download here: http://developer.apple.com/sdk/

jbonante

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Thanks for all the help!

after i capture the video into final cut is that when i de-interlace? assuming i want it for the web.

How do i tell FCP to de-interlace my video?

Thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.