Capturing Issue with Final Cut Express

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mike21190, Jul 8, 2008.

1. mike21190 macrumors member

I just got Final Cut Express and I have some old tapes that I would like to upload and edit and then hand out to our friends cause were going off to college. I've never used Final Cut Express before(I used Pinnacle Liquid) but it's not hard to pick up. I'm having trouble with the computer recognizing my video camera when I go to capture the video. I have a 2 week old MBP and a Sony Digital Handycam DCR-TRV740 NTSC that records in Digital 8. Any help on how I can get this to work would be appreciated.

Edit: I connect it to the computer using the Firewall 400 port.

2. -DH macrumors 65816

Digital8 uses the DV codec. What capture settings are you using in FCE?

-DH

3. mike21190 thread starter macrumors member

I was trying the most basic settings of Easy Setup. I don't know if thats what you were asking though lol.

4. mike21190 thread starter macrumors member

This is the error message I get when opening up FCE. This messages comes up regardless if the camera is plugged in or not.
    [​IMG]

Edit: Also whenever I try to run easy set up and change it, this message always comes up. When I hit check again it just brings it up again really quickly.

5. walley56 macrumors newbie

can't captue with final cut express

I'm having problem capturing video. when I try it tell me '' an error occurred finding one or more of the specified capture scratch volume. verify that both audio and video scratch disk are set in preferences"" I did they are I don't know what else to do

6. mike21190 thread starter macrumors member

I brought my MBP into the Genius Bar. They tested the firewire 400 port and it was fine. They then hooked up another camera to my computer and it worked fine. So it was my camera. I'm going to buy a new one anyway, but now I don't know how I'm going to get my Digital 8 tapes onto my computer. BTW, I have a Sony DCR-TRV 740.