Capturing Page screenshots? Where to paste them

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by glassyman, Feb 21, 2008.

1. glassyman macrumors newbie

Hi,

Im having some difficulties capturing screenshots of the pages Im viewing. I want to do a screen or page capture. I've found the keyboard shortcuts that shows you how to get the screenshot and I hear it take a picture but then what? How do I go about pasting it somewhere, where I can make minor modifications to it.

Also, in general what do you all use for copying pictures from the web and editing them. Previously I was just using Windows Microsoft publisher and something called infranview but now Im clueless as to what to use?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

P.S. Im using an iMac Leopard with the wireless keyboard.

2. scr1968 macrumors regular

If you are using the built-in screen capture utility of the OS, then the pictures are sent / saved to your Desktop in a PNG format. You can easily view them with the Preview application that comes with the OS. There is also the "Grab" utility that comes with the OS but I don't have a lot of personal experience using it.

As for editing the pictures, there isn't anything great that comes to mind that ships with the OS. Preview allows for some simple editing but not to the extent that MS Publisher would allow. Something like Photoshop Elements might be a good place to start.

SCR

3. tagtagnc macrumors member

There are at least, that I know of, two keyboard combinations you can use to capture data from your display (Apple-Shift-3 to get the entire screen or Apple-Shift-4 to bring up crosshairs to select what you want, both appear as "Picture ###" on the Desktop).

Try looking into VersionTracker for some freeware/shareware which may offer a cheaper alternative to pricy apps like Photoshop. Photoshop Elements might suit your needs also. You should be able to find some basic editing program to suit your needs.

4. stomer macrumors 6502a

Try skitch:
    http://plasq.com/skitch

It allows you to take screenshots, make annotations etc., then upload your pictures to your chosen location (ftp, sftp, flickr, .mac, webdav, skitch). The software is currently in beta, so it's free to use.

5. glassyman thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help guys. Im figuring it out now. And that skitch is what I was looking for as well. Does more than MS publisher.