capturing t.v.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by theFranchise25, Mar 30, 2009.

1. theFranchise25 macrumors member

Ok I have an iMac and I currently have the hook ups to use my Vizio as a 2nd monitor/watch movies from my mac. (mini dvi) But my question is, i like to edit video for fun, how can i capture video from direct.v , (shows, commercials etc) and save them on my mac to edit later?:confused:

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

Best thing is to get an eyetv by elgato (link). You set it up to record your favorite show. It save it as a eyetv file, you can then export it to itunes/quicktime and then you can edit in FCP.

3. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

What level of service do you have with DirecTV? Since you mentioned Vizio, I'm assuming that you have HD service.

The ElGato EyeTV products do not record in HD through the auxillary inputs. On SD (via s-video or composite).

If that's all you want, then perfect.

However, if you want to record in HD (720p and/or 1080i), then you need the Hauppauge HD-PVR 1212 and either EyeTV3 or StevenToth's HDPVR Capture. EyeTV3 is $80 and HDPVRCapture is $30. The Hauppauge device runs about $220, but deals are availble to bring it down to around $160 (often through Dell).

Keep in mind the hardware requirements. Recording is typically not an issue with the Hauppauge, but the playback can be taxing at the highest settings.

ft