Capturing TV images with a Sanyo Xacti 1000

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mauricemaurice, Sep 7, 2008.

1. mauricemaurice macrumors newbie

When I film my TV screen, I get a "ceiling fan effect"

Is it due to a difference in the frame rate?

Please advise if anything can be done to suppress this effect?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What kind of TV set do you have?
    PAL, NTSC, HDTV?

PAL has a frequency of 50 HZ, NTSC of around 60 HZ (actually 59.94 HZ) and HDTV I don't really know, depends on the resolution I suppose.

But some TVs have higher frequencies than their broadcasting standard, to avoid flicker.

Maybe your camera has a Shutter setting in the Menu, with which you can play and see how it works.

3. mauricemaurice thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a PAL TV.
    I filmed the TV screen using the 1289 X 720 60 fps HR setting

Your suggestion to try the SHUTTER setting sounded promising. I just happened to have it in front of me, set on "D" (whatever it means). I saw that the other options were B and C, maybe more, but by the time I walked to my TV set to try, the Xacti screen had shut itself off, and when I switched it on again, the SHUTTER menu had disappeared!

I scanned all the menus in vain trying to locate that SHUTTER menu, but could not find it...

Do you happen to know where it is?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I doubt that your camera is capable of setting your shutter to various settings, as it's a feature found mostly in semi professional (and upwards) cameras. You have to look into the manual for this.

And D, C and B don't seem to be that kind of settings, as shutter speed is more like 1/12, 1/25, 1/50, 1/60, 1/100, 1/125 and so on.

By the way, PAL has a resolution of 768/720x576 with 50 interlaced frames.