Capturing video in 480p from a Wii

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by helicoptersoup, Aug 26, 2009.

1. helicoptersoup macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I was hoping someone might be able to help me find a solution for this problem. I need to capture video from a Wii in 480p for work. Currently we have a nightmare of a setup which includes a PV4 card from Japan hooked up in a Vista PC. The Wii then connects to the PC via D-Terminal link and we can capture in 480p. Is there any card or external device that can allow me to capture the Wii footage in native 480p through FCP or any other program. I need it to be progressive scan, or else the text comes out funny. Let me know if you have any thoughts. Thanks!

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

480p is tricky because it's not an 'official' broadcast format so standard video gear doesn't support it. What we do is hook the Wii up to an expensive scan converter which takes the 480p signal and turns it into a windowed 720p signal which we capture w/an Blackmagic HD capture card. We don't scale the image up so there is a 'window' of Wii footage surrounded by black bars on all four sides. We then drop that footage into a 16x9 SD timeline, reset the Scale attribute in the Motion tab to 100 (by default FCP will do a 'scale to fit') and edit away.

Lethal

3. helicoptersoup thread starter macrumors newbie

I like your thinking, but the expensive scan converter sounds a bit too expensive. Is there any other way I could capture the video in 720p with tools that are around say $500 or under?

4. helicoptersoup thread starter macrumors newbie

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Off the top of my head I can't think of anything else besides something like the scan converter that we use (which is like $10k), but I haven't looked around for a while either.

It looks like that will only output a standard SD signal (which means interlaced).

Lethal