Capturing Video on Different Camcorders

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by swwack91, Aug 3, 2008.

1. swwack91 macrumors 6502a

This might be a silly question, but I'll admit that I'm just not sure...

I don't want to wear out the heads on my fairly expensive miniDV camcorder by FF/Rewinding all the time and then capturing the video through it onto the computer. I'm considering buying a MEGA-CHEAP miniDV camcorder for the only use of playing back and capturing my footage.

Will the cheap camcorder IN ANY WAY reduce the capture quality of the footage shot on the better camera?

thanks.

2. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

Since you've already captured the video on the more expensive camera, a cheaper miniDV should not "degrade" it as it's digital.. unless of course the cheaper one chews up your tapes :)

3. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

4. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

Will the cheap camcorder IN ANY WAY reduce the capture quality of the footage shot on the better camera?

No, so long as you keep the heads clean and well-aligned.

The only problem you may encounter is tracking. If the video head tracking is slightly out of alignment on either camera, your video may not play back correctly. If your main camera's head is slightly out of alignment, it will usually be able to play back its own recordings, but another deck may have problems.

But this is fairly unlikely. In general terms, using a deck or inexpensive camera for import is a good idea as if saves wear and tear on your main machine, though as always you need to weigh the cost of an additional camera against the expected benefit.

Cheers.

5. swwack91 thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. ChemiosMurphy macrumors 6502

Don't do it. I've taken this route with a cheapie camera and it scratched and ate my tapes.

If you are going to go the cheapie camera route just CAPTURE THE TAPE STRAIGHT THROUGH. Don't log the footage because it causes much more wear and tear on the camera and might eat your tapes. You can just sub clip it later.

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but after having two tapes eaten, no thanks.

7. swwack91 thread starter macrumors 6502a

agreed. i have what used to be a high-end HandyCam... so I'm thinking it might be better (now that I have several more years of experience and have exhausted the HandyCam's features) to get a nicer camera and use my 4-year-running ultra-reliable HandyCam to capture.