Capturing Video Onto My Macbook.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by greenday123, Oct 12, 2008.

1. greenday123 macrumors 6502

Im trying to figure out how to capture video from an old video camera to my mac to put them on dvds and keep a digital copy to preserve my family's memories. But the thing is i can't seem to find the right device that will help me do it. It's and old camera that records onto tape, it has a cable that can output the video to an Composite AV Connection (Red, White, Yellow). Can anyone give me a link to something that will help me do it so i can capture the movies into iMovie? Please, this is very important.

Thanks

2. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

Can you tell me if it´s MiniDV or older?
    Like VHS or Hi-8?

3. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

I once used a MiniDv camera to copy old VHS footage onto, then I connected the MiniDV camera to my Mac using the Firewire cable
    Some MiniDV cameras you can use as a "bridge", meaning you don´t have to record onto a DV tape, the camera will encode the footage on the fly and you capture straight to your Mac.
    Not sure I´m very clear, sorry

4. greenday123 thread starter macrumors 6502

I know for sure its not a VHS i believe it was a Hi-8. MiniDV is digital isnt it? This camera is way to old to be digital.
    I dont have any dv cameras or anything to record the footage too and then connect to my mac, it has to be something that i can connect the av connection to and then connect that to my mac either by usb or firewire

5. greenday123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Will this will that work? But i just wanna capture the movies with imovie and then encode that to a .mov and burn it to a dvd, will that do that? Or just convert for the ipod?

6. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

That should work, I have used the EYETV from elegato the same way. I think I have the hybrid. It has this as an added feature, It worked ok.
    Check out their web page

7. greenday123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah i was also looking at the eyetv but i thought it was just a waste of money since im just gonna use it for this and not to record tv. Alright well okay then looks like im getting the pinnacle, thanks for the help, ill post back here in a few days when i get it!

8. greenday123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay well now ive got another issue, my camera will not even play the tapes its something with the motor or something that turns the tapes. So i need a new cheap camera fast. They are Hi 8 tapes, anybody have any ideas where i can get a really cheap one that will work?

9. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

10. lil' brudder macrumors 6502

my friend has a sony hi-8 camera that has an analog-digital converter built in. It is a pretty decent camera and works great with iMovie.. just a thought (sorry I don't know the model number)

11. greenday123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you think you could get the Model No.? That would be so much easier then spending 100 bucks on the capture card and then buying another camcorder.