Capturing videos of apps in action

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by chelseasian, Sep 23, 2010.

1. chelseasian macrumors regular

chelseasian

Hi!

I am working on a video segment that needs to demonstrate several apps in action. We shot the first time of someone tapping the app on an actual iPhone but had to deal with all the smudges not to mention the glare reflecting from the lights above.

The result wasn't pretty. I am wondering if there is a way we can use the iPhone Simulator instead? And then do a screen capture using a tool like iPhone Video Screen Capture?

Here is my questions:
    1. Is it possible to install apps I have purchased from the App Store and run them in the Simulator?
    2. If so, how do I go about doing it? I.e. Where are my purchased Apps stored on Mac, and how do I install them into the Simulator?

Thank you.

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

To put it bluntly, no. App Store apps have been compiled for ARM, Simulator apps need to be compiled for Intel.

3. chelseasian thread starter macrumors regular

chelseasian

that is kind of what I suspected. Urrrgghhh! I would hate to have to hire a 3D developer to build a model and then do all the simulation.

4. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

There is always the option to jailbreak, then install either VNC and control the phone from a computer, or to use a jailbroken screen recorder app.