Car adapter isn't compatible!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by superspiffy, Dec 30, 2008.

1. superspiffy macrumors 6502a

I have a car adaptr which I bought for my iPod touch. When I plug in my iPhone 3g it says that it's not compatible but it can still play music through the radio, it just can't charge anymore. So is there a way to hack the iPhone or download a program to get it working?

2. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

It says it's not compatible because of the possibility of interference from the cellular signal. When it asks if you want to put the phone in Airport Mode, just click no. If it isn't charging the iPhone, there is an adaptor you can buy from the Apple Store that will enable a car adaptor to charge a 3G.

3. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

You have to be careful about the adaptor and what you are plugging it into though. This adaptor will not work to charge the iphone if you are trying to use it with the Pioneer cable (for example, the one with the Pioneer AVIC headunits.) Read the fine print as to what cables this adaptor will allow you to charge with. I was really bummed when I found out it would not work with my AVIC-D3 unit. :(

4. cc2096 macrumors regular

cc2096

I was having the same problem in my G35. There was a link on iPhoneAlley to an adapter made by Scosche called the passPORT. I just bought one as it looks like the exact thing needed to remedy the 3G incompatibility issues with older cables.

EDIT: Looks like this is same adapter that is on the apple store, whoops. Oh well it should still work unless you have a Pioneer deck like fishmd said.

5. cwerdna macrumors 6502

Not only that, but the won't charge part is probably due to the OPs adapter using Firewire charging (which I believe is at 12 volts). iPhone 3Gs don't support charging over Firewire. You've got to use USB charging which is 5 volts.

6. pkagel macrumors regular

I just bought this yesterday and it works great. I still get the warning but it is charging my 3G and allows me to control the music through my steering wheel controls.

7. superspiffy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! Just bought it. Works like magic. The iPhone still says that the adapter isn't compatible but it still plays music and charges anyway.

8. tvgraphics macrumors newbie

Firewire to USB Adaptor

Has anyone heard of an adapter for the firewire chargers? (Firewire to USB) Mine is built into my car stereo so replacing it would be expensive.

9. HeatherA macrumors 6502

HeatherA

I'd like to know the same thing. I have a backup battery for my old ipod that won't work with my 2g touch, neither will my old belkin car charger. I haven't tried my alarm clock base, my speaker base or my video docking station but I'm afraid since they're all purchased pre-2g touch release that I'm out of luck. I've spent a bundle on these accessories and would hate to have to replace or duplicate them due to a change on Apple's part.

Any advice?

-Heather

10. BigCanoe macrumors 6502

Dang...$30 and its out of stock, I wish I knew how to make stuff like that!

11. headphonejockey macrumors newbie

headphonejockey

I'm going to regret this next week when i buy my iphone.
    But, Amazon has them in stock.

<3

12. daveishere macrumors 6502a

daveishere

I had the same with my iPod touch 1G car charger. When i got an iphone, i thought it'd play nice with my iphone, but i had the same error message. To be fair though it was only a cheap one off ebay.

I then bought a Griffin PowerJolt SE in Apple's black friday sales for £8 which is very nice and works with my iphone.

13. rockauteur macrumors newbie

My Car Adapter Won't Work Either

I have an infiniti EX... Worked fine with my first gen iphone... Now with the 3GS, the built in adapter won't play the music, let alone charge. I bought the passport which fixes the charging... but still won't play the music! Any suggestions?

14. bbydon macrumors 6502a

I have the USA SPEC 11 in my G35 for my ipod. They say i need to switch the cable to the new 5v cable for it to work properly. This involves me taking my dash apart....so i might try the adapter first and pray.