Car Audio solution for iphone4

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by kobebryant24, Aug 12, 2010.

1. kobebryant24 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I used to be able to use a cassette tape that connects to my iPhone to listen to music in my car, but with the new iphone 4 + bumper it no longer fits. I would like to try the ones where you can connect it to an FM transmitter, but seemingly all of those require you to charge the phone at the same time. Since I heard car charging is not very good for the battery, does anyone have a better solution? Thanks!

First time poster

2. adamp05 macrumors newbie

You should probably find a iPhone headphone adapter. It is male to female Connector that you would just connect to your tape and the end of the adapter would be small enough to fit in the iPhone.

3. California King macrumors 65816

From my experience, FM transmitters are not worth it. It's best to go with a car stereo that has a USB port or AUX jack. I've never heard anything bad about car charging, can you explain what you're talking about? I charge my iPhone all the time with the USB port on my car stereo.

4. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

Yeah I'd also like to know where you heard car charging is bad for the battery since I use mine everyday since when I drive I'll plug it in to listen to music which also charges it...

5. peteisanidiot macrumors regular

i don't see any rational reason why car charging would be bad for your phone.

6. kobebryant24 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey guys thanks for the replies. Adamp that is a great solution I don't know why I didn't think of that before. As to the car charging being bad, that is something an employee at an Apple store told me once, and something I assumed on my own as well. But after some research it appears i may be wrong on that. Supposedly newer electronic device batteries aren't affected by car charging. I think I may have misunderstood the employee when he was actually saying that charging my iPhone constantly instead of when it's low is harmful to the batterys lifespan.

7. illutionz macrumors 65816

This is my current setup. Works perfectly :)
    **Note that this Amazon link is for reference only. No referral or anything stupid***

1. Motorola ROKR T505
    http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-MOTO.../ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top/191-3193704-1970823

Bought this second hand for a steal... $32 bucks shipped. Great BT to FM Transmitter. I use channel 88.5 FM and I rarely get interference. I used some Griffin product before and I get a lot more distortion compared to this.
    Not to mention that in iOS 4.1, Apple will finally include AVRCP and you can skip/back via this ROKR T505 volume button ;) I am currently using Music Controls app from Cydia to get AVRCP

2. Macally mCup Adjustable Cup Holder
    http://www.amazon.com/Macally-Adjustable-Portable-Devices-Vehicle/dp/B002JTWRN8

Just arrived today. Going to try it out for my 1 hr drive to Boston tomorrow. Did a short test drive and it looks and fits great in my car

3. Kensington USB Mini Car Charger
    http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-Mi...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1281657658&sr=1-1

Use in conjunction with the stock USB Cable from Apple

8. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

I also went with the Motorola t505 MotoRokr, paired with a $12 Arkon vent mount, and an old XtremeMac car charger that I had with my original iPhone. I only wish I'd known about the Motorola sooner, it's been terrific so far.

The Arkon's gone up a few dollars since I bought it last month: http://www.amazon.com/Arkon-Removab..._10?ie=UTF8&s=wireless&qid=1281667444&sr=8-10 It's fabulous to finally have the phone at much closer to eye level, and to not deal with the precarious suction cups of windshield mounts. This vent mount will also swivel to horizontal for use with navigation software. And it works just fine with the bumper.

9. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

I'm going to agree, especially since the iPhone 4 has a lithium-ion battery.