Car Build

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by marykay9507, Feb 9, 2008.

1. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

2. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Guess I'm a car n00b... only ever saw the 2nd one referred to as the Shelby Cobra. :eek:

'S one of my dream cars. There's an exotic car showroom nearby and they usually have a couple in the room. *drool*

3. amd4me macrumors 6502

Real Shelby's cost about a million bucks. If you have seen one on the street. It was a kit car.

And to the OP, dont get the Shelby ripoff they have been overdone and they look super cheap.
    The GTM thing looks like the child of an Enzo and a C6 after a night of drunken sex. If it were up to me I would get neither, they both look like cheap kit cars. Save money and buy a real exotic.

4. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Re-read my post. Exotic car showroom. And hate to break it to you, but in this area? There are quite a few folks w/ quite a bundle of disposable income. And quite a few nice cars on the street.

5. marykay9507 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

yeah....unfortunately don't have a million laying around, so the kit is the way for us....

6. amd4me macrumors 6502

They are kit cars. They only made about 400 Shelby Cobras and I promise you there arent two of them sitting side by side in a showroom.
    Are you sure they aren't Sunbeam Tigers? or AC Cobras?

I live in Vancouver BC, my next door neighbour to the left has a Rolls-Royce collection and the one to the right has an Enzo.
    When it comes to the Shelby Cobra it is not a matter of money, it is availability. They are extremely hard to find and the people that do have them will not let them go.

7. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

IMO, the Cobra kit looks much better as it is at least an existing body-style (and a beautiful body-style at that). The first linked kit looks overly fake and, IMO, would always look like a kit car, either up close or at a distance, while the Cobra kit could look moderately believable up close and look quite decent at a distance.

To some people a kit car is fine, in that it can look, function, sound, etc. similar to X car at a fraction of the price. The extreme opposite end of the spectrum would be the concourse, matching-number, recreating paint over-spray restorations. I can understand both view points as well as those that lie between, but the kit car will probably yield a higher level of enjoyability than a immaculate restoration, that is, if you actually want to drive the vehicle rather than trailer it everywhere.

My other reason for choosing the Cobra is the excuse to hear lots of horsepower through those massive lakepipes/sidepipes.

8. amd4me macrumors 6502

Have you guys considered a Super Seven? A buddy of mine has one with a BMW S54 in it. Super super fast car for not a whole not of bucks. Check them out.

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

10. Greasyman macrumors member

I hear good things about the Factory Five Cobras, I know they are popular enough to have their own racing series. I've seen a couple at autocrosses and they go good, but I don't know much else.

A well made kit car can be better than the original, since it uses updated technology. I wouldn't be surprised if a Factory Five Cobra is better than the forty year old original.

11. marykay9507 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

I like it, but I think I may be more of a cobra girl

12. amd4me macrumors 6502

Well if you really want the Cobra then go for it. Who are we to tell you what YOU like? At the end of the day you have to look at it and drive it. If you go for the Cobra I would do a BMW motor. You could put an M70 in it for less than the mustang. And have 350-500 horses for not a whole lot of money.

I think the most important thing is that you like your car!:)

13. marykay9507 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

I would love it!! I just wanted to see what some others thought...thought it would be an interesting topic:D

14. amd4me macrumors 6502

15. marykay9507 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

we have not gotten it yet, but we are going to go for it-- but we have stumbled across another opportunity...we found a challenger that needs a bit of work, so we may go for that one first..husband loves that car and we were eyeing one for a while and the guy is looking to sell; so if the price is right, that will be the next project.

thanks for asking!!!

16. amd4me macrumors 6502

Oh thats so cool.
    My first car was a cherry(not numbers matching) Daytona.
    I am not entirely sure but I dont think they came with a 351 shortblock:D

17. amd4me macrumors 6502