car buying advice

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by twoodcc, Jul 15, 2008.

?

which car to buy

1. spend $8k - same amount i got for my truck

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  2. spend $3k and save money now, worry about something better later

7 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. spend $12k or $13k, and get something you are happy with

13 vote(s)
    46.4%
  4. get a motorcycle - cars are overrated

3 vote(s)
    10.7%
  1. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

ok, so i wrecked and sold my truck, and now have to buy something to replace it. i got around $8000 for my truck

should i buy something for $8k?

buy something older for $3k and save some money

or buy something i actually like for $12 or $13k?

before you answer, here is a little background on my previous vehicles:

first car i bought - toyota rav4 - my dad basically talked me into it, and i just wasn't happy with it (i wanted a nissan xterra) so i sold it after 1.5 years

then i got my nissan xterra, and kept it 2.5 years. the main reason i sold it was i talked myself into it - i thought i needed a truck, and i was getting 17-18 mpg, with only 180 horsepower. it's not that i hated paying for the gas, i just felt that i wasn't getting the power for the money i was paying - and they came out with the new xterra, that got a little better mpg, with 265 horsepower

then i got my toyota tacoma prerunner - I4 - so it was underpowered. it got on average of almost 2.5 years of 24 mpg. i was happy with it, except it wasnt the double cab, so not fun with more than 2 people. but i only sold it b/c i wrecked it, and it bent the frame (and it was going to cost $4k to fix it)

2. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Are you looking at cars, or do you want another truck?

I'd personally buy a used Honda.

3. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks for the quick reply. i was making the poll when you replied. (please vote!)

well, i'm not sure. i've never owned a car, and all my friends tell me that they can't see me driving a car (and i really can't either)

but if i spend the $3k and save money, it'd be a car

4. adk macrumors 68000

adk

How about spending 5k on something that's reliable and not a complete piece of junk AND saving a little money?

5. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Yeah, buy something cheap and reliable, and save the rest for later when you figure out what you'd *really* like to own.

6. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

not a bad idea - put it with the $3k vote

well, i've actually found something i'd like to own - a 2005 nissan xterra - one with the 265 horsepower and extra features, etc. the only thing is the gas mileage - 18 city, 21 hwy

7. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

also, i forgot to mention that i am about to graduate college, and will be looking for a job.

8. OscarTheGrouch macrumors 6502

buy a used something you like. unless i become filthy rich(right now im just filthy) ill never buy another new car.

9. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

i have always been a truck/suv type guy. I don't mind sacrificing a little gas mileage to get the extra space to put stuff.

I recently spent about 5K on a 98 S-10 pickup (only had 54000 miles on it) and am very happy with it. had to put tires on it but besides that it was in nearly flawless condition. It was owned by an older couple and the wife was seilling it cause her husband had recently passed away.

I guess my point is don't really look at price ranges. Just search and wait and see what kinda deals pop up.

10. madoka macrumors 6502

madoka

Wow, that is pretty crappy mileage. My current car has 416 HP and 371 torque, yet I get 20 MPG.

If I were you, rather than hop from car to car, find one you like and keep it as long as possible. That will save you the most money in the long run. As the saying goes, the best car is the one with no payments.

11. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

right. i really couldn't get something new that i liked now if i wanted to, unless i went into debt

yeah, i'm a truck/SUV guy as well - always going camping, taking road trips, etc.

the only thing is that i've been brought up to getting non-american vehicles - my family has 4 toyotas and 1 acura, and my truck made 5 toyotas before i wrecked it.

but you just can't find a good deal on a toyota b/c of their resell value

yeah, that is the plan if i spend a little more on something that i want. i just want to be reassured that i'm making a wise decision.

btw, what do you drive?

12. magid macrumors 6502

magid

If you have the money to spend then I would def go with something 12k or so. If that is stretching it then it isnt worth it. You can def find something for between 5k and 8k that will suit your needs.

13. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I say spend $3k, get something that's basic, cheap transportation, and then take a month off and go to Scotland in the fall.

14. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

what about a wagon or cross over suv since you seem to need the extra space. The last gen subaru imprezzas are cool. Either way, if you can afford it, I'd say get something good that will last you for a while. Your going to end up spending more money in the long run if you jump from car to car all the time.

15. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Get something you are happy with. A car is a big investment, you dont want to be driving away with something you are going to hate in 6 years.

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Have you seen his track record? He hasn't had one that made 3 years let alone 6!:p

One thing being over looked - Do you have student loans or other college debt to pay off? If so, I'd recommend getting a beater (Dave Ramsey quote) of 3-5K, and saving the rest to pay down on any college debt you incurred.

17. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Get a German car. They are the best. No one can change my mind about that:D

18. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks. i do have the money, but i have to think about my future as well (house)

haha, not a bad idea!

well, i never really liked wagons, and a cross-over isn't good for camping really (off road), but you are right: i do need to get something and stick with it

very true.

haha, you have a point there! but i've got to overcome this! i must!

nope, i have no college debt to pay off, thank goodness

19. magid macrumors 6502

magid

x2

(what do you drive?)

20. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

like what?

21. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

VW Golf 5:)

22. mikeyPotg macrumors 6502

Good advice imo, especially if you're not exactly sure what car you want. Keep the extra money around for a year or 2 when (hopefully) you have a much better idea of what you want. Maybe then you can even get some money back on the $5k car!

23. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

i have looked at some of the VW's.

yeah, not a bad idea. though i do have a good idea of what i want, i just can't afford it!

24. NightFlight macrumors 6502

NightFlight

Four VW products have been lemoned where I work, that coupled with my own personal experience will prevent me from ever buying one of their vehicles again. Audi, VW, etc. No thanks...
    :mad:

If you like a truck/SUV I'd tell you to just suck it up and get another RAV4 or a Honda CR-V. I have a CR-V and it gets great gas mileage and it has been bulletproof reliable for the entire time I've owned it...

25. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

get a bike, i own a suzuki gsx-r 600 along with my rsx-s:cool: