Car charger + cradle/mount?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by tbm248, Aug 12, 2009.

1. tbm248 macrumors member

Hey everyone.

I have the iphone 3G, and was looking into finding a cradle/mount (not sure what the proper term is) that also acts as a car charger, but have had trouble finding it, and also understanding if this is actually a good combination.

I recently purchased a bluetooth device (the moto t505) that will provide me the hands free calling + music through car speakers; and so I don't need FM transmitter now (I searched through older threads, and it seems like people mentioned devices that would have the car charger + mount + FM transmitter; and I don't need that).

But, I still have yet to buy a car charger, and I would also like to have my phone in a cradle/mount so that it's not sitting in my cup holder (if/when I purchase the GPS app, it would of course be invaluable to have the phone visible at eye level or close to it, while driving).

First, the car charger:

I have of course found many cheap ones on ebay, and even purchased one when I first bought the phone. It broke on the first day. The part that you connect to the phone was weird as you had to hold the two ends in to plug the phone in, and somehow it wouldn't come out of the phone, and snapped.

Maybe there is a decent quality charger on ebay or elsewhere someone could link to, that also happens to be cheap, but it seems like the griffin powerjolt is the most popular (about $10). Is this the right purchase (assuming I buy the charger and cradle/mount separate).

The cradle/mount:

I've seen so many different ones mentioned on these forums, I'm not sure what is right for me. Suction cup, vents, cigarette lighter, etc. Right now I'm not looking to spend much, maybe $20-25. I also am hesitant about the suction cup mounts, and the vent seems strange to me. Cigarette lighter ones would seem like the best, and why I also was thinking about just finding a device that chargers through the lighter + has an arm/mount/craddle. I have no idea about any brands though. I think I saw a kensington for 20 something, it was a suction cup though.

Any suggestions for a. individual car chargers and mounts that fit my budget and/or b. a device that combines the two, will be greatly appreciated!!

TIA!

2. SWISSHAT macrumors member

SWISSHAT