Car charger for MacBook question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ScottR, Oct 18, 2018.

1. ScottR, Oct 18, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2018

ScottR macrumors member

I'm looking to get a car charger for my 12" mid-2017 MacBook.

Apple sells a Belkin car charger, Belkin part #F7U013dsBLK; on Amazon there is a seemingly similar model, part #F7U026bt04.

Are they the same thing, but with a different manufacturer's number for each so that Apple can advertise its model as "Only at Apple"?

They look similar on Belkin's site, except that the non-Apple model also comes with a USB-C cable but sells for the same price as the one at Apple, and both are listed as being for the MacBook. I wasn't sure if there was any reason to but the one at the Apple Store.
    F7U026bt04 at Belkin
    F7U013dsBLK at Belkin

The reason I was going with the Belkin was it at least had the the stamp of approval from Apple; I don't like taking too many risks when it comes to charging my expensive electronics.

2. yuru_zmi macrumors newbie

The one on the apple website is a 36W one, while the Belkin on amazon is only 27W. The one on Amazon might not charge your MacBook.

I haven't tried any of these car chargers before on my MacBook, so no idea what kind of results you'll get, but if you're going to get one, I'd suggest the 36W one on Apple's site.

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

My MBP15 will charge (slowly) even from a 12W source, if it's idle -- and if not idle it'll still slow the battery drain.

The only real difference in the 27 vs 36 would be in how fast it'd charge.

Though unless there's a substantial price difference, go with the 36W.

4. loybond macrumors 6502

There are 45w pd chargers you can get on amazon

5. ScottR thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the responses (I didn't get any email alerts though the thread was set to alert me so I didn't know there'd been any replies).