car charger that works with the 3G iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by firewood, Jul 18, 2008.

1. firewood macrumors 604

Reports are that some models of car chargers (the kind that plug into lighter socket) won't work with the 3G iPhone, because they use Firewire voltages instead of the lower USB voltages.

Which make, model, brand of car charger has anyone tested and found to actually work with their 3G iPhone? I want to make sure I get the right kind.

(Oops, should have been posted in the accessories forum instead of here. Admin please move.)

2. bmms8 macrumors 68020

i have the griffin power jolt and it works fine. the power jolt SE also works from what i have read. good luck.

3. ThinkingDog macrumors newbie

4. Spongey817 macrumors regular

I just ordered a PowerJolt SE from an eBay store. It got delivered today.

It's small, looks great, and does what it's supposed to. Look around, you can find then for about thirteen dollars online.

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

6. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

So the Griffin PowerJolt charges the iPhone 3G and lets you listen to it via FM transmitter right?

7. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I don't recall the name of mine, but it's a Griffin product that uses USB plugs. Since the big deal is about no more firewire circuitry, I'm sure it would work fine with an iPhone 3G. It was $20 at The Apple Store.

8. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Griffin are just getting there officially 3G compatible kit out. Word is that most of the old stuff works, but they can't actually brand it as 3G compatible yet.

I'd give it a bit, if you want to kill 3 birds with one stone and get a GPS holder/radio player/charger./ If you just want a car charger, I'll look at what griffin said regarding their old stock. To be honest, if you went into a store, and asked them if it worked with a 3G they'd probably say you could return it if it didn't work.

9. bmms8 macrumors 68020

yea it should work fine with no problems. good luck

10. slapple macrumors 6502

Any idea when their official 3G chargers will be out? I'm going on vacation in 4 weeks and want to have a car charger by then.

11. Hardcoredan52 macrumors regular

12. MemphisDave macrumors regular

MemphisDave

Bought a PowerJolt SE at Walmart for like $16 and it did NOT indicate if it works on a 3G. The package states "iPhone", however It works fine on my 3G. The cord is extremely short.
    MemphisDave

13. BLACK MAC macrumors 6502

I spoke with Griffin and they said the Power Jolt SE and the one with the USB cable will work for the 3G. It will be the same exact charger, same exact charger model number. No diffrence. The only change is that they will use a diffrent packaging to identify that it works with the iPhone 3G. Same thing with incase. A new packaging will be out soon to idenitfy that it works for iPhone 3G.

14. slapple macrumors 6502

I just got an email response from Griffin tech support. They said that their products must be approved by Apple before they can say that it is compatible with the iPhone 3G. And since the iPhone 3G just came out, it will be a while before their products get approved for that. They said that their PowerBlock, PowerJolt for iPhone, and PowerDuo products work with the iPhone 3G, but there is a slight chance that they may not work if there are any firmware updates to the iPhone. As it stands now though, those products work with the iPhone 3G, without any need for feature or instruction changes.

15. mrtune macrumors 6502a

I found that of all my older chargers that I once used with my iPod, then orginal iPhone, only the griffin powerjolt will actually charge my 3G iPhone.

Neither my kensington fm transmitter or iHome docking station will charge it.

16. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

iGo charging system FTW.
    1 charger for unlimited gadgets*
    $10 a pop tips aint bad IMHO either,

17. junebug1 macrumors regular

junebug1

Griffin AutoPilot works great. Sells for $52 at Best Buy but I picked 2 up on eBay for $20.99 each. I love it because it charges and has an aux out for easy plug in to the deck in my cars. If you can plug an aux cord straight into your deck then this is the way to go!

18. littlelauren99 macrumors newbie

I got this from someone else who posted

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5691047

It's 5$ and works great. My bf and I can charge our phones together or anything you want with a USB.

I have an AUX output in my radio, that's why I love it. If you have an AUX output and that's how you play it, this is a great way to go. Ridiculously cheap price for a good quality product.

19. BobF4321 macrumors member

Charging and playing with Alpine CDA-9857?

I bought an Alpine CDA-9857 radio specifically because it supported charging and playing my iPod Nano at the same time, with artist/album/track info displayed on the radio. Apparently it charges through the firewire pins, so it doesn't charge the iPhone3G. However, it should be possible to build a dock connector adapter that converts the 12V firewire input pin to the 5V USB output pin... anybody aware of a product that does this?

20. bbotte macrumors 65816

bbotte

Me too, I had a griffin, the part that plugs into the lighter socket quit conducting Electricity within 30days(fuse was fine and it's glued together so..), I have had no issue with my ExtremeMac.

21. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Tried my about 5 year old cord and it didn't work. I just figured that all new ones would be USB compliant so I just ordered 2 cheep adaptors. Whis I read this thread first because it looks like they will be worthless when I get them.

22. Kyle Appleseed macrumors member

I bought the charger that AT&T had when I bought my iPhone. I think it was the power jolt. It works great.

23. Bodah macrumors regular

I bought something similar. I imagine it will be worthless too.

24. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I now have 3 worthless car adaptors (although they will charge my Nano and iPod), one unopened. Anyone want to trade 3 (no good) for 1 (good)? :D