Car Charger/Transmitter not Compatible with iPhone 4....ok to use?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by nl2134, Feb 18, 2011.

1. nl2134 macrumors member

I have the first incarnation of the Monster iCarPlay Wireless FM transmitter, which I've used for my Classic and Touch for many years.

I just got the iPhone 4, and now, whenever I plug it in, it tells me the device is not optimized for use with the iPhone. In addition to this, it says signal strength might be lost if I utilize the device.

I used it one day (I have a hr long commute both ways...and didn't know about the error until the day I plugged it in) - and the iPhone still charged, and still transmitted my music perfectly. The only issue was that Yield sign on my main screen.

I don't talk on the road, so the dropping of wireless strength will not be an issue.

Is it still ok to use it despite the warnings? I ask because I shelled out almost $75 for that transmitter back in the day, and after purchasing the iPhone, along with the case and protective gear, I'm not sure if I'm very willing at this point to shell out another 50-100 bucks for an FM transmitter while mine otherwise works fine.

Thanks.

2. Centient macrumors 6502

If it works you're okay. My car receiver isn't confirmed "compatible" with my iPhone, but it works fine in every respect but one. The included charger/wired transmitter doesn't charge the phone. No biggie.

3. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Best contact Monster about it (good luck with that) if you're looking for a straight answer. If it charges, it should be ok. Just hope it doesn't melt the innards.

4. nl2134 thread starter macrumors member

Hi

Thanks.

But by utilizing it, I would be in no way be potentially damaging the battery itself...would I?

Part of me thinks it's an Apple gimmick to make sure I get updated gear. The other part of me realizes I need this thing to work for another two years at least.

Thanks a lot.

5. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

There is no risk from using your current car charger/transmitter. Nothing changed in the ports or voltages. And yes, the whole "Made for iPhone" thing is a sham designed to milk you of your money through overpriced and never ending "accessories". Apple gets a big cut of what ever you pay for those "accessories".