Car charger use with iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by lylemo, Jan 3, 2013.

1. lylemo macrumors member

A couple of years ago, I had used my iPhone 3Gs for navigation on some long trips; I used a car charger so I wouldn’t run down the battery. Not long afterward, I thought I might be having a battery problem. An Apple Store tech checked the battery and said it was ok. He did advise against using that phone with a car charger. He said that some variations in power supply from the car battery could adversely affect the phone battery and might necessitate a “recalibration” of the phone (??). So I stopped using that phone for navigation. I’m would like to use my iPhone 5 with a car charger for navigating on some long trips. Should I expect any adverse effects on the phone/battery by using the charger?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I honestly don't know what he was talking about. I have used all kinds of car chargers and never had this issue.

3. lylemo thread starter macrumors member

Thank you. My question marks (??) implied my own doubts, but I was reluctant to quibble with the tech. Anyhow, I'll proceed on my travels sans worries (at least about the charger!).

4. King Julian macrumors regular

Never had any problems with using car charges with any iPhones

5. B2FiNiTY macrumors member

Just make sure you get a good branded car charger with all the proper certifications.

cheap generic ones can fry your goods.