car charger using USB but still not supported?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Ruffian829, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Ruffian829 macrumors 6502

I searched the forums and I found a lot of information about car chargers using firewire and not working on the 3Gs but the charger I have is one I just bought for the ipod nano chrome and it seems to be USB supported (The cable I use to charge the ipod nano and *try* to use to charge my phone is the same USB cable they came with- the car charger has a USB port in it, and I simply use the Apple stock usb cable- it works fine for the iPod and sometimes it works for the iphone other times I get the "not supported" message display- sometimes if I unplug it and plug it back in again, it'll work. Other times it does not.
    I know there are threads out there about similar problems, but I could only find information regarding using firewires (not supported) vs. USB which should work.
    The car charger also came with an in the wall charger that has a usb port which works fine.

Any thoughts on this one??

Thanks.

2. lollicup macrumors regular

sounds like the car charger is made for an iPod and not an iPhone 3G/3GS

The iPhone is one of the pickiest devices when it comes to what it will work and not work (Apple has a chip inside most iPhone compatible accessories)

Your only solution is to buy an iPhone specific charger

I would highly recommend the Griffin PowerJolt for the iPhone.