Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
My wife surprised me tonight after we had dinner by taking me to the Apple store and getting me an iphone. I've probably been driving her nuts with telling her I was going to wait for a 32GB model and she'd finally had enough :)

So one concern that I have is there doesn't seem to be any compact car chargers with stereo line out available that charge the 3G and still let it be used as a phone.

Am I wrong? If so let me know.

Thanks.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Drop $20 on a car charger and $10 on a line out cable for the headphone jack. What else do you need?

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Drop $20 on a car charger and $10 on a line out cable for the headphone jack. What else do you need?

I travel and move between vehicles frequently so a single unit would be more conveniant. Also, I hate having to turn the volume way up on the iPod since sometimes I forget to turn it back down before plugging in headphones.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
I would recommend the Sik Imp, except my understanding is that it does not work with the iPhone for line out. Perhaps that has changed.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
This is the one that I have and it works great. It has play controls and a line out on the charger, plus a cable with a dock connector. I use it with a cassette adapter, but a line-in on a radio would be even better. Although it doesn't claim iPhone support it works fine; just ignore the message that pops up (no need for airplane mode). I got it from Amazon for about $30.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/autopilot

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
This is the one that I have and it works great. It has play controls and a line out on the charger, plus a cable with a dock connector. I use it with a cassette adapter, but a line-in on a radio would be even better. Although it doesn't claim iPhone support it works fine; just ignore the message that pops up (no need for airplane mode). I got it from Amazon for about $30.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/autopilot

Perfect!

Ordered, that should fit the bill nicely for me, thanks very much for the help.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
I just wanted to provide a followup to this. The Griffin unit arrived today and works fantastic!

You do get a warning about it not being an iPhone 3G accessory but everything works.

1. Powers/Charges iPhone.

2. Line out works perfect (even has two gain levels to choose from which is a nice feature)!

3. Can make/send phone calls and data while it's hooked up.

4. Can play/pause and forward/back tracks with the controls on the unit.

This thing rocks for $30!

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I just wanted to provide a followup to this. The Belkin unit arrived today and works fantastic!

You do get a warning about it not being an iPhone 3G accessory but everything works.

1. Powers/Charges iPhone.

2. Line out works perfect!

3. Can make/send phone calls and data while it's hooked up.

4. Can play/pause and forward/back tracks with the controls on the unit.

This thing rocks for $30!
I thought you had bought the Griffin unit I linked to. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.