Car charging help

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PrometheusGeek, Jul 30, 2012.

1. PrometheusGeek macrumors regular

Hi guys. I know there are posts on this topic already, and I've read a bunch but not discovered the answer to this particular problem. I'm hoping some of you can help!

I have a New iPad (gen 3) and an original iPad (gen 1). The gen3 is on iOS 5.1, and the original is on iOS 4.

The 3.1amp car-charger that I purchased works great charging the new iPad, but when I plug the original, gen1 iPad into it, it says "Not Charging". So, I know there's enough power coming from the charger and through the cable, as it successfully charges my gen3 iPad. What reasons might account for the same charger and cable failing to charge the older model iPad?

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. poloponies macrumors 68030

It's likely charging but just reporting that it's "not charging." Look at the battery level before you plug it in and then check again after 15 minutes or so.

3. PrometheusGeek thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! So, perhaps it's slow-charging and just not reporting it? I'll check it out. Appreciate it!

4. poloponies macrumors 68030

Not a slow-charging issue, just a "not recognized" issue. My wife had a car with an iPod port and we used a non-standard cable to connect her iPhone and it would always report a "not recognized" on the screen but it charged and performed perfectly.