Car Cover - What to Buy

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by upinflames900, Jun 26, 2010.

1. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

I need a waterproof car cover that is fairly durable and can be fairly easily taken on and off. It needs to fit a 2010 Chevy Malibu. Any suggestions on brands? Where to buy? Anything is helpful.

2. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

Just curious, why would you want to cover a Chevy Malibu? It will be worth fiddlesticks in a couple of years in any condition so why bother?

3. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

I have OEM covers for both our cars, but neither is waterproof and I'm not sure there even is such a thing. You'll get condensation trapped between the cover and the car and it won't be able to escape. Not good, a cover needs to be able to breathe.

Anyway, our covers are quite different materials. The NSX cover is cloth and fits very tightly, like a glove. The downside of this is I don't dare put it on except when the car is squeaky clean because it could scratch the finish. The SLK cover is a synthetic material and is a lot looser. Both have to be washed periodically.

After many years, my attitude as evolved and I don't use the covers nearly as much as I used to. Sorry I don't have any good tips where to find covers.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I'd think very carefully about using covers especially outdoors. If there is any dirt or even worse larger particles of grit on the car and the cover moves (say blows in the wind) the cover will rub with the grit/dirt and scratch the car.