Car Covers that work great with snow & ice?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jmann, Aug 14, 2009.

1. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    So I live in SL, UT and have to deal with the harsh snowy and icy winters, and my poor car has to be outside unprotected. The usual morning routine includes like 10 or 15 minutes of snow and ice scraping, and it is a big PITA.

I have been seriously considering getting a car cover for my Yaris, because I just want to be able to pull it off and go, but I don't know what kind/brand I'm looking for. I know that there are certain kinds of covers that let the car breathe so that moisture doesn't freeze underneath or are water permeable. I was looking at a few online, and I can see they go upwards of $150 :eek:. Does anyone have experience with car covers? Because if I am going to spend that kind of money on one, I want to start saving, and make sure I get a good one so I'm completely prepared for the winter at the end of the year. Any help or tips are appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I never used one or seen one before. But wouldn't it be a pain? It would be great for light fluffy snow, but what about wet snow, freezing rain etc. Wouldn't it be too heavy to lift up, getting rid of the snow, finding a large/warm area somewhere to let it dry.

3. jmann thread starter macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Snow in Utah is very dry and powdery (We are famous for it), and I could just brush it off, and shake off the ice. It's better than standing in a foot of snow with plain shoes scraping and scraping and picking at the rock solid ice, all while getting frozen alive starting my toes.