Car Cradle

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by fireballer55, Feb 8, 2008.

1. fireballer55 macrumors member

Does anyone know of a good car cradle for my iPhone? I would love one that would plug into the cigarette lighter to charge and dock my phone. I have looked both at apple.com and apple store with no luck to what I want! Anyone that helps, thank you!

2. Marcjcd macrumors member

I have been looking for the same thing and cant find it. I can find generic ones that dont charge the phone but I would also really like one that charge's the phone.

3. constant L macrumors member

griffin tuneflex is perfect. its like 50-60 dollars...i think...and plugs into your cigarette lighter...has a dock that charges....

it was the perfect solution for my car integration...i got an aux wire for my factory stereo...it sucked because i had to plug in the aux wire and the charger...this allows for an aux wire to plug into the base of this thing which has an audio out...

4. Ometochtli macrumors newbie

It appears that this isn't intended for iPhone use, only iPod..
    http://www.griffintechnology.com/category/car

I see you have an iPhone though... it does work with it?

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I use a Belkin cup holder stand (I can't remember the name) then use an iTrip Auto for both my iPhone and my 3G iPod.

TEG

6. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

7. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

I went with a ProClip custom car mount along with my iPod adaptor that I already had. It's screwed into my dashboard and it looks professional, but I am someone who typically likes things to look professional. It cost me $70 all together (from Crutchfield), though.

8. constant L macrumors member

it does..you have to press no when it asks about airplane mode...i have had interference only once since i got it in december..and it was very faint and short...

9. codah macrumors newbie

Maybe a bit late but i found this post trough google when searching for an iPod car cradle. I purchased a Carcomm iPhone cradle which works pretty good imo. The iPhone is a snug fit only drawback is that i cannot use my silicon casing.
    I connected the audio that comes from the cradle ( line-out ) to my car-stereo line-in so there is no issues with sound quality like I had with my FM transmitter.

Grtz Cody

10. bab23 macrumors newbie

I've been looking for a car solution to the 3G iPhone that I will be buying on launch, and I believe I have finally found exactly what I am looking for. I ordered it yesterday here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0011UK2HO

Its a charging cradle with a bendable arm for adjusting the position, including allowing it to swivel (to use coverflow and perhaps GPS apps like TOM TOM), and the final feature that I was looking for which is the AUX out from the cigarette connection as shown in the picture.

I hope this helps anyone looking for a similar solution that works for the iphone and should be no problem to work with 3G (because it states that it fits a regular iphone with a case on it as well).

Good luck!

[​IMG]

I forgot to mention that the kit comes with a little wireless remot that can clip on the side of your steering wheel to control the ipod/iphone.

Here is the kensington site for this product which includes a little video showing the features. http://us.kensington.com/html/14493.html

Sorry for all the updates, but just incase anyone was worried about 3G compatibility, it does state on the amazon site that it works with 3G iPhone, and on the Kensington site it says it works with any iPhone (wouldn't worry about it anyways, because the width of the cradle is adjustable to fit iPhones with a case to nano iPods).

11. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

That's pretty cool, just wish it would support Video and it would be perfect.

12. bab23 macrumors newbie

Maybe I missed something, but I didn't find anywhere that it said it doesn't support video. I will soon find out on the 11th if it does.

13. bab23 macrumors newbie

Just wanted to say for anyone interested that I recieved my LiquidAUX Deluxe today. It's amazing, I am currently using it with my iPod 30 gb, and it is very well built and well designed. You do need to have the correct car lighter setup for this accessory to be successful though. If your car lighters are not in a good position to place an iPhone/iPod in, then it's best to get the liquid aux without the cradle. In my jeep, however, it fits perfectly. The wireless remote is just amazing at how helpful it is to have.

Well, that's my 2 cents, if anyone has any questions about it, I'd be happy to answer them.

14. paj macrumors regular

paj

The best in-vehicle mounts are from http://www.proclipusa.com/

Unfortunately they don't have one for the new iPhone yet, but they're usually pretty quick releasing new holders.

15. bvolt3000 macrumors newbie

sounds awesome
    im seriously looking into buying this for my upcoming iphone 3g purchase
    im sure youll inform us about the video playback control function ;)

16. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

Excellent!! I love that they are custom made by vehicle type!! I'll have to keep an eye on this site for the 3G version.

17. bab23 macrumors newbie

Well here's how everything is going with the liquid aux deluxe: It didn't quite workout for my jeep because the lighter plug is too low in my car, so it's very difficult to follow gps directions. I gave the deluxe to someone else and got the one without the cradle. I then ordered an air vent 3g iphone mount beause my vent is in the exact position I want the phone to be in.

As for video playback, I'm having problems with iTunes closing on me when I click on videos, so I can't put movies on my phone just yet. YouTube videos work fine if that counts for anything, and I don't see any reason why regular videos wouldn't work. When I get iTunes reinstalled I will try it but it should work. Sorry for the late response.

18. edtorious macrumors 65816

edtorious

19. mac43rn macrumors newbie

Pro Clips are great

I have been using pro-clips for quite awhile. I actually started using them when the video ipod came out (I guess that has been two years now. All I can tell you is the pro-clips are expensive, but I highly recommend them.

I purchased the holder for the 40gb ipod video and it held the first generation iphone with an incase slider like a glove. Perfect!!!

The 3g iphone fits in the holder (without a case) with a little room to give, but it is secure. The only problem I have now is the charger I was originally using is not compatible with the new 3g iphone. I will try to snap some pictures tonight as it is a pretty slick set up, I just need to change out the charger.

20. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

I went into my closet and pulled out my old Belkin TuneDok. The iPhone 3G Fits it!! Without a case and placing it a tiny bit higher in the cradle so it doesn't hit the volume buttons. The suction cup holds it safely place. :D

21. SChaput macrumors regular

I've never ordered anything from them..trying to see someone else who has.

22. edtorious macrumors 65816

edtorious

Is this going to work my car? I have a Honda CRV and the lighter adapter is way below as you can see from my pics below:

23. Bose macrumors newbie

iLuv i730, cradle, charge, trasnmit, also has built in bluetooth. and power comes from USB cable, so distance from outlet isnt nearly as important as with some other docks