Car dealerships ripoffs and discounts:

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Frisco, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Frisco macrumors 68020

Today looking at a 2008 Mitsubishi Endeavor: MSRP $33,000.

Thing is the car I was looking at has 5000 miles on it because it was driven for the past couple of month by the manager.

Mitsubishi was unwilling to lower the MSRP. Question: How much should this vehicle be discounted because of the 5000 miles on it? It is fully loaded, but still I say at least 3 grand discount with 5,000 miles on it.

Opinions please?

2. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

3 grand seems a bit low. Maybe $4500 or $5000.

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

In other words they're charging full retail price for a used vehicle?

...I'd laugh in their face before proceeding to walk out the door.

Have you checked the suggested price in Kelly Blue book?

4. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Firs thing I'd do is see how much they will sell a brand new one at. MSRP isn't necessarily the price they would actually sell it at. So I'd probably negotiate for a new vehicle with the same specs, then saw I'll take this used one for like 3-4000 bucks off whatever that price was.

5. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

most new cars are sold below MSRP and sometimes below invoice. mitsu isn't so hott (except the evo X) so i'd laugh and walk out if i were you.

this can give you a rough idea:

http://www.edmunds.com/tmv/index.html

6. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Buying a used car for the same or more as a new one, sounds like a deal.

Laugh in their face and find a better dealership. Why bother dealing with them and giving them your money?

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

That's pretty much the most retarded thing I have ever heard.

Not only are they not willing to sell lower than the MSRP because it's a typical practice of card dealers, they're also unwilling to lower it on a car that has been driven? The car should be discounted: MSRP - (typical discount you can get by negotiating) - (depreciation).

That's it. Anything less, and you should walk out.

8. gmecca2 macrumors regular

My advice is go find an endeavor enthusiasts forum and find out they are paying for the exact same model. Then take your best guess at a discount from that point based on depreciation. It's not going to be some outrageous discount though because most cars will still carry the manufacturers bumper to bumper warranty from that point, in other words since the car has 5,000 miles on it the 36,000 mile B2B warranty should be good until 41,000 if the car is titled as new when transferred.

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

It may of crossed into the used side because of the miles.

But it is at least demo status so it should be fair amount less than MSRP. If they are tying to charge you new go to a different dealership and write corpate about it. I would not trust them at all from that point on because they are trying to cheat you from day one.

10. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

If the vehicle is never titled and has less than 10k on it, it can technically be sold as new.

You shouldn't be haggling with MSRP. Tell them you will pay invoice and nothing more.