Car dock.

Discussion in 'iPod' started by lonegeek, Jul 2, 2007.

1. lonegeek macrumors member

lonegeek

I'm thinking of buying the apple ipod dock and mounting it in my car. Possibly under the dashboard.

Do I still retain control of the ipod while docked?

Does anyone know of a better docking solution for a car?

I don't need an fm transmitter.

thanks, zach.

2. lonegeek thread starter macrumors member

lonegeek

3. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

You might need to tell us more about your in-car solution. Are you currently running the iPod through your head unit? If so, are you running a line out of the headphone port, or are you using the dock connection into the head unit?

I have my iPod connected through the dock connection to an Alpine head unit. I've thought about trying a dock to see if it works, so that my iPod isn't just sliding around in the glove compartment, but haven't gotten around to it, and don't really care to spend the money. I don't imagine too many people have put a dock in their car, so that may be why you're not getting (m)any responses.

4. lonegeek thread starter macrumors member

lonegeek

I'm using the line out to the aux input on the front of my stereo.

When you use dock connectors to head units, to you lose control of the ipod?

5. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

Placing an iPod on a dock won't forefit the controls of the thing. You'll still need to control it the same way.

What's the point if you're using the front outputs? The whole point of putting a dock in the car would be to hide connections between the iPod and the stereo wouldn't it? :confused: